Talk

Advanced search

New job but can't do it

(5 Posts)
CraneCrowned Sat 20-Apr-13 20:34:49

Started a new job a few days ago, when I was offered it I was told i would be in house A, then when they gave me a start date later on that day they said I would be in house B. Its in a care home.

I fell down the stairs last week and its caused me major problems, i've got a slightly bad back anyway but its never stopped me from doing anything before. I'm currently in bed unable to move because its causing me so much pain.

The house I am currently in is very physical, there is a lot of manual handling and all residents are wheelchair users. I'm finding it very difficult there. The other house is completely different, it isn't physical in the slightest. How do I approach this with the boss? When I have asked about working in the other house its been kind of brushed over, there are vacancies there and I have a lot of experience with the type of care they need and like i've already mentioned, its where they said I would be working originally.
If I can't switch houses then the only option is for me to quit, there is no way that I can stay there.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 20-Apr-13 21:31:19

If you quit you'll lose any benefits...you need a doctors note. First stop...the GP for a note and then make an appointment to see your manager so her or she expects you and has time....then nicely explain the situation and give the note. He or she will move you or put you on lighter duties.

CraneCrowned Sat 20-Apr-13 22:02:17

Getting to the gp is going to be very difficult, I'm working all week. With it being only my second week I don't want to have to ask for any time off. I have to finish slightly early one day to have my mmr which they weren't very happy about.

The manager is very easy to get a hold of so I won't have to make an appointment or anything luckily. Lighter duties aren't an option, its all one to one work, its move or nothing to be honest.

I'm in tomorrow so I'm really hoping the manager is around so I can get it sorted sooner rather than later and I won't be put in the awkward position of having to tell other staff that I can't help them out with anything.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 20-Apr-13 22:12:41

But if your back is bad....hurt through a fall, then you will have to take an hour or so off to see the GP. What can work do about that? Nothing. You phone in and say you have hurt back and are seeing doctor.

Without a note, you won't have a leg to stand on by the sound of it.

twinklytoes Sun 21-Apr-13 07:22:19

i would be seeking occupational health advice via the organisation and ask for a workplace risk asssessment due to your injury and the client group. I would also locate and read the manual handling policy - it may alert to a procedure they haven't done if you've acknowledged your back problems. Also, have you done your manual handling training? if not, get this organised - it's another to alert the issues with your back and the work that is expected of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now