Advanced search

How could I get a CRB Check ?

(7 Posts)
louandji Tue 16-Apr-13 15:34:21

Iive in France and try to get a CRB Check. Last year, I ve been in London for some english lessons and wanted to work or apply for voluntary position in the social area at the same time but I couldn't. I'm asked a CRB Check to be allowed to work with people. When I tried to get it I ve heard that who recruit should ask it for me but they told me that they don t and I have to get it by myself. Does anyone know how to manage it ? Can I obtain it France ? Where could I obtain it ? Which papers do I need to send or give ?
Any advices would help me, as I d like to apply again for it in next July. smile

LIZS Tue 16-Apr-13 18:18:45

It is the setting/"employer" which determines whether or not you require one and it has recently changed so one can be transferrable from one role to next, previously every voluntary role required a separate one. It is now called a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) but I don't think you can request one as an individual, but via whoever you initially want to work for or a voluntary agency, and having lived outside UK could prove an issue.

prh47bridge Tue 16-Apr-13 18:41:58

Actually the portability of a disclosure has not changed. It has always been up to the employer/voluntary organisation to decide whether or not to accept a previous disclosure.

As LIZS says, you cannot apply for a DBS check yourself. If the position says it needs a CRB/DBS check it means that if you get the job you will be asked to fill in a form allowing the employer/voluntary organisation to get a check. You are not expected to supply your own check.

Rattitude Tue 16-Apr-13 18:49:11

OP, see attached link for more information.

LIZS and prh47 are correct. It is clearly stated on the website that 'you can’t do a criminal records check on yourself'.

MrsMangoBiscuit Tue 16-Apr-13 18:50:34

You cannot currently apply for a DBS check without a UK address (and sufficient proof of this) You can ask for a certificate of good standing from your local police station though (certificate of good conduct in germany) which they would probably accept, but I would check with them first. Make sure you give it plenty of time though, as CoGS can take a while.

Rattitude Tue 16-Apr-13 19:31:53

Potential UK-based employers might not be interested in this, but could you apply for, and submit a French 'extrait de casier judiciaire' instead as you live in France?

Here is the link.

louandji Tue 16-Apr-13 20:41:45

Thanks to all of you for this precious and clear information. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: