Talk

Advanced search

flexible working request - fixed days?

(6 Posts)
meebles Fri 05-Apr-13 20:28:21

I'm returning to work in a few months, and want to make a flexible working request in order to fix my shifts rather than have them dotting all over the place . Firstly, does this fall within the possible requests, and secondly, does anyone gave any suggestions as to how this won't effect the business? I'm a nurse on rotating shifts, and happy to continue working my contracted hours and rotate to weekends and nights. I just want to have my childcare demands fall on the same weekdays each week (except when I'm working weekends obviously) as organising childcare will be impossible otherwise (1 5 year old at school and a 14 month old). I honestly can't think of any negative possibilities since we're all interchangeable at my band anyway.

chanie44 Sat 06-Apr-13 12:40:26

Why don't you just say that for childcare reasons you need set days but on those set days can work earlies/lates/nights as appropriate and can be flexible on weekends. Say you are happy to discuss which days (If you can).

ValarMorGoolis Sat 06-Apr-13 12:45:37

I got it.

I took a line out of the roster and showed that the rest of the roster could work without it.

GeraldineAubergine Sat 06-Apr-13 12:46:05

I'm a nurse (theatres) and when I applied for flexible working set shifts, I put it to my manager that I would be more reliable than if I was unable to have fixed, definite child care and that I would be a more productive member of the team if I wasn't continually stressed about my rota. I was allowed it on a trial basis but as it had no impact on the service my manager has been happy to allow me to continue. I do also help out with nights and weekends if I can. I try and help out as they have been supportive of me.

BriansBrain Sat 06-Apr-13 12:47:43

I think fixed days sounds very workable.

Your will be asking to still work early lates and nights but just to be able to do them on set days?

I came off the rota when I returned part time with the NHS, worked 3 days a week 9 5 a weekend nights.

Good luck

meebles Sun 07-Apr-13 20:08:50

thank you everyone, some really good suggestions there. I'll get writing now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now