Talk

Advanced search

How long should it take to feel you're up to speed in a new job?

(5 Posts)
Kernowgal Fri 05-Apr-13 18:30:44

Silly question really, I guess it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I've been in my new job for a fortnight and I'm definitely getting to know what's needed of me (have various objectives in place, all achievable) but I really have no idea whether I'm 'getting it' fast enough.

As background, my last job was a nightmare of bullying, undermining and micromanagement and I've got no confidence as a result. I'm scared of stepping out on my own, even though I know I'm perfectly capable of doing it and would have my manager's full blessing. I've put myself forward for various events going on, have got relevant books to read etc, so am showing plenty of willing, I'm just finding it very hard to move from having my every move dictated according to mad boss's whim, to basically being in charge (with support from manager).

Am I just being a bit silly about this and actually I'm fine, I just need to find my feet?? Any advice? My confidence is really shot sad

trinity0097 Fri 05-Apr-13 18:58:13

Depends on the job really. I guess once you've done everything once! I'm a teacher and I work on a full year as then you have encountered all the school special way of dealing with every event!

blueshoes Fri 05-Apr-13 19:23:54

Depends on the job and depends on whether you are joining with relevant experience.

I joined with relevant experience but the company is still informally giving me one year to 'get my feet under the table'. After about 6 months, I feel pretty confident how to do things and if not, who to ask/how to find out.

Kernowgal Fri 05-Apr-13 19:39:01

Arf, so I should be giving myself less of a hard time given I've only been there eight days?? The nature of my job means it's seasonal, so yes, I can't know everything until I've been there a year.

It's the striking out on my own that I struggle with. I know all the techy stuff, I've done similar jobs before (albeit at a lower level), so yes have relevant experience. The organisation is one of the two leading ones in my industry, with very high standards, so obviously I want to prove myself a worthy hire and not have them thinking dear god what have we been landed with?? smile

I think I'm going to spend this weekend going through my objectives and write down a work plan for my areas. Then I can identify any questions I have and speak to my manager if necessary. I also haven't had time to sit down on my own and go through all the relevant info on the intranet, so I think I will ask to do that on Monday afternoon.

Thank you smile

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Fri 05-Apr-13 19:47:48

It sounds like you are being really conscientious - not much more you can do really, just give yourself a break and switch off and recharge over the weekend. The first few weeks in a new job are really draining as you try and take it all in.

I think it takes 6 months or so to really feel like you know what you're doing - but it does depend on the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now