Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Should I take new job offer?

(10 Posts)
Cooroo Mon 25-Mar-13 07:34:57

Just let me ramble through this, and please understand I know this is a 'problem' that many people would be grateful for...

I've been in the same job, more or less, for nearly 20 years, including a TUPE between companies. What I actually do has changed dramatically, as I have had to be adaptable and learn new skills to stay in employment - most of my original colleagues have been made redundant.

Now, the company i work for is not looking healthy. I've had no pay rise for nearly 7 years. They recently stopped all overtime (which I am entitled to be paid for), but realistically I still have to work more than my statutory hours to get the job done. The workforce has been halved due to redundancies and a lot of production has been outsourced to another country.

A (competitor) company has heard of my skills, which are quite specialised, and have offered me a job. I like them, I like the job. But the money is the same (the same I've been on for all those years!), the hours are longer by 5 a week, and the holiday 3 days less.

I have a 16 year old daughter who will probably need supporting through uni soon. Ex-DH does not contribute. DP earns less than me. So do I go for the job and hope that the new start brings at least security? Or do I hang on where I am knowing that if it all goes tits up, I'm entitled to reasonable redundancy? I've heard on the grapevine that my employers have heard what's going on and will be talking to me soon (when??). Will they offer me more to stay? If so what do I do?

As I say, it's supposed to be a 'good position' but I find it uncomfortable. I don't want to play one off against the other, but I'm not young and frankly think I deserve a bit more for the years before I retire!

Any thoughts from MN?

ajandjjmum Mon 25-Mar-13 08:20:59

Trouble is, nomatter what your current employers offer you, if the company is unstable it's not really any benefit.

Can you talk to the prospective new employers and see if they could improve their offer to match what you're getting currently, in terms of increased salary to reflect the longer hours, and additional holiday?

If the company goes, you'll only be entitled to statutory redundancy won't you?

BikeRunSki Mon 25-Mar-13 08:26:27

If you are already working more hours than you are paid for to get the job done, then would the extra 5 hours a week in the new job actually make any real difference?

I would use this situation to try and negotiate a payrise with the competitor with a view to joining them for the stability. Less holiday = more pay!

flowery Mon 25-Mar-13 09:47:11

Why do the new company think you'll move? confused

They've approached you? And are offering you more hours, less holiday, no more money and zero job security for two years? Why do they think that will be enough to entice you to leave?

No no no. If someone wants you, they have to give you a reason to leave your current job, and at least match your existing package.

I would contact the new company and thank them for their interest, say you are very keen on them and working with them, but can't leave a job for one with worse terms and conditions.

lljkk Mon 25-Mar-13 10:45:43

I think you've been half head-hunted which is a good sign you'd be employable by others, too.

My gut feeling is hold out for more pay from new job or look for a different new role.

ajandjjmum Mon 25-Mar-13 13:40:52

It may well be that the new company know your existing employer is not terribly stable.

Cooroo Mon 25-Mar-13 19:39:29

Thank you all - lot of wisdom here and you all have very good points. Yes, they know existing company shaky. I contacted new people today explaining my doubts about moving for worse package (though it's true I already work the extra!). The woman who's talked to me so far still has to clear it with owners and will raise my concerns then. Only after that so I get formal offer.

Nothing has been said at work yet. Tempted to raise it myself but not till I have firm offer.

Thanks all, that has been reassuring.

compoundinterest Tue 26-Mar-13 22:17:58

Do they know how much you are earning now? <Hoping you say no...>

I would say thanks very much for the offer but taking into account the increased hours and reduced holiday I'd be looking for a higher salary. Say you want the job but it needs to be worth your while.

If they come back and offer you £X more then ask them if you could have £X + £Y more. Keep batting it backwards and forwards until you get an offer you are happy with.

NEGOTIATE WOMAN and don't be afraid to do it! They want you and you are worth it. Blokes don't bat an eyelid and neither should you!

mamababa Tue 26-Mar-13 22:22:49

Ask for more money. More holiday.

Really, who would move for less.

Cooroo Wed 27-Mar-13 06:18:40

compoundinterest, mamababa - you're right. But this is the creative/marketing agency world and things have been so shaky most people are glad just to have a job. Our company hasn't made any pay rises for nearly 7 years!

However, I've told the new company that I'm not happy with package, so hopefully formal offer will take that into account! Still no approach from my employer...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: