Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

if I don't work but my partner does, do we still get tax credits?

(6 Posts)
CptFellatioHornblower Fri 15-Feb-13 07:12:34

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I need some urgent help!

I currently work 13 hours a week and partner works 37.5.

My employer is not paying me right for the hours I've worked and are messing me around with my shifts. I've been paid £20 for two weeks work, which means next week I can't afford to get to work. A number of weeks now the expense to pay to get to work and pay for someone to look after my duaghter (not registered childcare as we can't afford it) outweighs what I'm earning.
This means that my partner is paying the mortgage, gas/electric, water rates, council tax, home insurance and the broadband (which he gets discounted heavily due to his job and which he needs to complete training), which means he's stretching his wages as far as they'll go.

He has a company van, so doesn't pay for fuel to get to work, we eat once a day and basic food (pasta, beans on toast etc) we don't go out, we don't buy "treats" or luxuries.

I'm now putting more strain on him because of the costs of going into work and not getting paid properly for the hours I'm doing. I've raised the issue with my manager but nothing has been done and its getting to the point where I simply can't afford to go to work anymore.

The tax credits and CB we get just about covers nappies, food for our 1 year old (far more important than us eating) and a small amount of shopping to keep us going.

If I left my job, would we still get tax credits until I find something else, on account he is still working 30+ hours a week? (Had several interviews I'm waiting back on)

I know this is a very dim view and I am only considering it because of the fact its costing me more than I earn to work for this company

MisselthwaiteManor Fri 15-Feb-13 07:24:40

Try the tax credit calculator but obviously use your info as if you were unemployed here

CptFellatioHornblower Fri 15-Feb-13 07:31:37

They don't stop them altogether if one or the other of you isn't working though?

Locketjuice Fri 15-Feb-13 07:32:33

There is a tax credit entitlement calculator hmm

wannabedomesticgoddess Fri 15-Feb-13 07:38:44

You will get the child tax credit regardless.

And aslong as your partner works over 30 hours and earns under a certain amount (not sure of threshold) you will get working tax credit.

Use the calculator to check your specific circumstances. IME a change to working TC hasnt stopped the CTC.

raisah Sat 23-Feb-13 03:58:17

More importantly you need to be paid for the work you have done, what they are doing is illegal & putting you in hardship.
Is there a union rep you can speak to? If not contact ACAS for further advice.
Who did you speak to at work re your outstanding wages? Can you raise it higher up than your line manager, HR perhaps?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: