Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Statutory redundancy pay

(5 Posts)
mrstiredandconfused Mon 11-Feb-13 20:04:43

DH is going to be made redundant - AFAWK he is going to work the next nine weeks (been in the same very small company for nine years so I think notice period of one week for every year worked).

If he finds another job (unlikely, we know sad ) within the nine week period would he lose his statutory redundancy pay?

Also can anyone tell me how JSL works - do you have to be out of work for a set period of time before claiming? We have a little in savings but is there any cap on how much we can have in savings before it starts to affect JSL?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm living up to my name on this one - never been in this situation before and I'm really confused and both upset sad

flowery Mon 11-Feb-13 21:12:23

Sorry to hear this.

If he finds another job and needs to leave earlier than the 9 weeks he can ask his employer to release him, which most would as it saves them money on notice pay. In the unlikely event his employer refused to release him or said they would withhold his redundancy pay, he can do a thing called giving counter notice. It would not be reasonable of them to refuse.

No idea about the JSA questions sorry.

Tasmania Tue 12-Feb-13 01:14:40

JSA - call them up for an appointment the as soon as your husband has left his employment or even before that. Do not wait until after he has left!!!

There is contribution-based JSA and income-based JSA. He'll get contribution-based JSA if he has paid enough in national insurance contributions (he most likely will have, given he's been working for 9 years). This is paid REGARDLESS of savings (or whether you earn income on top of his), and will be paid for a period of 6 months.

After that period (if he hasn't found a job by that time), he will qualify for income-based JSA. To get this, he (and you) MUST have less than £16k in savings. "Income" from savings over £6k (interest, etc.), or household income (yours?) can also affect the amount he'll be entitled to.

More info here.

mrstiredandconfused Thu 14-Feb-13 00:59:11

Thanks both, that's really helpful. Wtf did I get JSL from hmm - relieved that you know what I meant even if I didn't!

Flowery - his boss is a vile man (even before all this happened) - I assume that request for release/counter notice etc need to be done in writing - is there anything specific/any particular terms that should be used? (Boss previously tried to get DH and only other remaining colleague to relinquish rights to redundancy pay - all very dodgy so want to be as prepared as possible)

flowery Thu 14-Feb-13 07:51:40

Yes in writing, giving as much notice as possible, heading Redundancy Counter Notice, and saying something like his position is redundant and he's been given x date as his termination date by his employer, however he's found a new job and would like to bring forward his termination date to x

Ultimately, if his employer withholds redundancy pay because of it, he may need to take it to a tribunal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: