Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Calling any school admin staff re childcare vouchers

(9 Posts)
HariboAndWine Tue 29-Jan-13 09:53:10

I work in a primary school as a teacher and have enquired about getting childcare vouchers. I have been told that the school doesn't do them as it comes out of our budget. This is apparently written in one of our policies. Is this right? Does it cost the school money to provide them?

nextphase Tue 29-Jan-13 19:29:56

Well, one childcare company quotes this
However the big cost, and I suspect in a school environment, where there is a large proportion of women, it is the fact that they have to continue paying through subsequent maternity leaves on top of SMP which is putting off your employer.
Unfortunately it is a benefit, not a right, and its the employers decision to offer them or not.

HariboAndWine Tue 29-Jan-13 20:09:18

Thanks nextphase. Shocked to discover that although I am technically a government employee I am unable to access a government scheme!

Littlefish Tue 29-Jan-13 20:30:10

Have you checked this with the salaries department at your Local Authority? Mine were issued by them, not my school (although this was about 5 years ago).

coldcupoftea Tue 29-Jan-13 20:38:36

I'm a TA and mine comes directly from the county council. I would query this, it doesn't sound right.

Ingy123 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:43:28

Please sign if you are a parent or not and pass this on... the petition is at 17,051 but 100,000 signatures is needed to go to the Backbench Business Committee.... The petition is to increase the childcare voucher amount will ill make childcare slightly more affordable... Maybe if they see it as a much needed thing then schools etc maybe required to offer all parents the benefits...

HariboAndWine Tue 29-Jan-13 21:55:13

Thanks all. I will query this with LEA. Thanks for petition link too. I really think it should be an entitlement for all

tiffinbaker Tue 29-Jan-13 22:02:23

Have a look at the calculator page here and complete it as if your employer does offer the vouchers - in some cases you might get just as much by applying for working tax credit (depends on your income and DPs if you have a DP) and you aren't allowed to have both WTC and CV so if the difference is small it might be easier to just get the money through WTC - it's the same principal in both routes, simply that some of the money you are spending on childcare shouldn't be taxed.

auntpetunia Wed 30-Jan-13 10:34:00

I'm school admin and I and several teachers use the voucher scheme as long as your LEA support the system you should have No problems. Speak to Hr and payroll .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: