Advanced search

Do I sign on? How does that work?

(8 Posts)
roisin Sat 19-Jan-13 18:46:28

We are relocating this summer: dh has new job.
I will be looking for work in advance, but realistically it could be some time before I find something suitable.

I work ft time now and have always done, except when I had time off when the children were tiny.

So, what happens? Do I go to the local job centre? What kind of "benefit" will I get? ( I literally have no clue, but someone said if I don't "sign on" it could cause issues because of a lack of NI payments.)

KatieLily12 Sat 19-Jan-13 20:48:00

Even if you think it's a short period, I'd sign on. You can do it online or by phone and its assessed based on your living circumstances, partner etc and any other benefits you already receive. The helpline are good a signposting other benefits such as housing too. Worth it for a bit of stability just in case. It's also worth it tax wise etc I found.

BoBoo Sat 19-Jan-13 21:35:01

The way I remember it, you may get penalised for leaving your job and there may be a period of 'punishment' where you won't get any money. I think this is from the date of claiming rather than the date of leaving job, so sign on as soon as you can.

meditrina Sat 19-Jan-13 21:41:52

If you resigned,you won't be eligible for JSA for 6 months (which knocks out contributions based entirely), and thereafter it will be income based, so if DH is in work th cash element will be zero.

If yo have DCs and claim CB, then you will be receiving NI credits. But if not, it is worth signing on just fo the Stamp.

Yo do not have to be signing on to go into a Job Centre to use the terminals with job listings. But you won't become eligible for training schemes if you are not.

TheSecondComing Sat 19-Jan-13 21:43:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Primadonnagirl Sat 19-Jan-13 21:51:36

If you leave your job voluntarily it is unlikely you will get anything for up to6 months but no harm in applying. You can do this all online at can also register for the online vacancy service there where you can see vacancies,upload your Cv etc.. do as much as you can now and don't underestimate how long it takes to find something. even if you can't recieve benefits if Yuit wish you can still sign on so you get access to an adviser ...just remember you need to agree to all the job search conditions though

starfishmummy Sat 19-Jan-13 22:06:22

If the op can show "good cause" for leaving her job(relocating) and that she has tried to find employment in the new area then her benefit might not be stopped. It would be worth making a claim and seeing what happens.
Look on Google for more info or consult the CAB or similar.

roisin Sun 20-Jan-13 23:01:28


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now