Talk

Advanced search

I just don't know what to do :(

(5 Posts)
chuckieegg2008 Fri 23-Nov-12 19:51:08

Hi everyone have decided to post this as i just need a really good rant and hopefully some advice on what to do as im just so fed up and have had enough now.

I started in a new role about 5 months ago completely different to what i was doing before. I don't want to say that i hate my new job cause i don't but i feel completely out of my depth. I work with another person (lets call her Sue) so were a team of two, she much more experienced than me what we do but this is also a new role to her.

So as were both new to this role were still both trying to find our feet and i dont mind admitting that i probably am taking longer than her. Im trying my best and giving 100% I'm a perfectionist and hate mistakes been made but at the moment thats all we seem to be doing.

Sue is always have chats with the manager saying that we need extra hours, more help etc, which always results in the manager telling me i need to speed up

Today i feel like ive just had enough i was on holiday last week and Sue is this week and i feel like she has just left me in an awkward situation, i can't find anything, customers are phoning up to complain about things that i know nothing about as i was away. A customer phoned and was horrible to me on the phone about not receiving something last week and i found it hard to deal with as i didnt know what was going on.

I find it quite difficult to deal with customers when they complain because i don't understand the full process of how everything works so find it difficult to explain things.

After the phone incident i felt really upset and had a few tears, i feel so silly getting upset about this but i use to be confident in my old role and i just dont feel confident at all in this role. Im also sick of Sue making mistakes and not been organised and then making out to the manager she has everything under control.

Sorry to bore you all!! I just needed a rant smile

Shelium Fri 23-Nov-12 20:05:33

Are you doing the same job as Sue, or is she more senior than you?

if she is the same "rank" as you, why is she always going to chat to the manager, and you are not?

Have you considered acting in the same way as Sue does, and speaking to the manager about your concerns, rather than letting her always do it? If you are feeling unsupported, tell your manager, and if nothing is done, put your concerns in writing so they cannot be ignored.

It might be best to go to your manager with solutions as well as problems. smile

chuckieegg2008 Fri 23-Nov-12 20:10:04

yes Sue is more senior than me, the reason she always speaks to the manager is because she understands the processes more than me she has been in this industry about 15 years ive only been 5 months

YouSeveredHead Sat 24-Nov-12 08:01:52

Ok with the complaining customers let them have a rant. Tell them you can see exactly why they are so upset and if you were on their end of the phone you would be too. Say you will get to the bottom of this however you need some time take there number and you will call them back. Then breathe and figure out what's gone wrong, then call them back apologies again and what you've done to sort it out.

Btw some people do just like to rant and rave, it's not personal.

Re sue, start making a list of things you are not confident about so she can show you. Makes lots of notes and build up a file for yourself to refer too. Most people feel out of their depth in a new role.

ClareMarriott Sat 24-Nov-12 09:56:32

Have you had time to sit away from your two desks and been able to speak to Sue about what the job actually entails and how to go about it. ? Did you move jobs within the company or come from outside ? Look at the skills you have and how you can use them in your new position .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now