Talk

Advanced search

international work travel and pregnancy

(7 Posts)
Frangipani77 Mon 05-Nov-12 11:43:18

Hi there,
I have been told by my work that i must attend a 4 day sales conference in the U.S in janaury ( at least a 8 hour flight each way and only offered economy ) despite the fact that i will be 27 weeks pregnant. I will also be leaving for maternity leave the following month for 1 year, so the conference will basically be irrelevant too as i will not be there that year! I am not in a senior management position, so my attendance seems fruitless and i do not want to put myself and baby in any risk by travelling this distance with work. I have spoken to my management and they say it has come from the top and they can't do anything. What are my rights in this situation, as anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks

Portofino Mon 05-Nov-12 11:47:05

Do you have an Occupational Health dept/person? Or failing that see HR. I was commuting weekly to Dublin throughout my pregnancy, and they were very helpful when I had had enough of being wedged in a seat, unable to stow bagage without assistance. They basically told my boss it had to stop.

Frangipani77 Mon 05-Nov-12 13:40:52

hi, i am not sure, probably i will check this thanks. Our HR dept. is useless to be honest, will say it is a sales managmenet decision. Pretty ridiculous - this a huge mulitnational company that i work for. I don't know how easy it is to get a doctors note saying that i can't fly, but might have to resort to this.

flowery Mon 05-Nov-12 16:17:57

Is there any particular reason you think this trip will put you/baby at risk? Presumably the airline have no problem flying a woman at 27 weeks pregnant. Just trying to work out what your concern is as that may make a difference in terms of how to approach this.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 05-Nov-12 16:53:45

I would check what the limit is for flying but I think its 32 weeks so you are within that.

Not sure why it would harm you or your baby to fly at 27 weeks. I'm not unsympathetic but why would a doctor write that note for you?

Whilst I can see why you would want to avoid it and why it might not be useful for you to attend I would say pick your battles wisely.

CMOTDibbler Mon 05-Nov-12 20:05:30

As long as your company travel insurance covers you when pg, then theres no reason at all not to go. You won't endanger you or the baby (wear flight socks though).

I flew long haul till I was 26/27 weeks pg (and that was a mega trip), and it was fine - check in everything, and someone will usually get it off the carousel for you.

sayanything Mon 05-Nov-12 20:10:09

I flew to Canada, Taiwan, the US and Singapore while pregnant, the latest being at 30wks. It was fine. The only thing my dr suggested was wearing those awful compression tights or whatever you call them, drink lots of water and move around during the flight. But make sure your insurance covers you in case anything happens in the US - you don't want to be lumbered with US medical bills, even for a scan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now