Talk

Advanced search

Nursing registration cock up

(21 Posts)
Pizzaexpress2 Thu 01-Nov-12 19:00:32

I sent off my n o p over 3 weeks ago, they never received it, I didn't think it necessary to check. Payment had gone through ok. Got a phone call from hr yesterday to say it hadn't been received and I would not be able to work if not recieved yesterday. I was on annual leave over 300 miles away so set off back home Immediately to sort it. I had been reassured that email was best way to do it. Duly did, they got scanned n o p.
this morning I am ordered home from work as lo and behold my registration has lapsed at midnight, the email was only half the form, even though I was told they had it yesterday. They obviously had not checked properly. I am horrified and so stressed. I really do not know what I could have physically done further.
So ashamed, can't face the team next week. I have never known anything like it in 20 years of nursing.
I was desperately hoping that some fellow nurses have had a spectacular cock up like I have. I am feeling pretty sickened, have headache to end all headaches and just want to hide in a darkened room.
Any wisdom or positive thoughts out ther?

Pizzaexpress2 Thu 01-Nov-12 19:21:03

Anyone?

SauvignonBlanche Thu 01-Nov-12 19:24:49

It happened to me once but it was a fortnight after my DM died so work were very lenient.
Have you phoned the NMC, what do they say?

Pizzaexpress2 Thu 01-Nov-12 19:32:45

The great call centre that is the nmc. I have rung them at least 5times today and5 yesterday. Same thing each time, it will take up to 5days to reinstate my registration. Just totally pants as I couldn't have done more other than take it their myself. I will never trust the post again. Also they advised me to email n o p rather than fax. Well there isn't much to be said in favour of good old paper correspondence on this case.

SauvignonBlanche Thu 01-Nov-12 19:38:26

I take it you've been suspended then?
There's nothing you can do now but search the live register several times a day until you're back on. It usually doesn't take anymore than 48hours.

AlanMoore Thu 01-Nov-12 19:39:43

No advice, my registration is long lapsed but hope it gets sorted ASAP. Poor you, get a nice DVD or book and try to forget it till tomorrow.

Pizzaexpress2 Thu 01-Nov-12 20:34:48

One of the managers rang me and was really ok about it all and said I should put in a complaint to the nmc. That really doesn't help.
I really couldn't have done more. I am on unpaid leave till IRS sorted. Not due back at Orkney till Tues so hope it is sorted by then. I just feel really ashamed and like it is something I have caused myself.
I put in so much above and beyond, I would never let the team dwn. Just feel so physically ill, cold, achy, headache.
Cannot believe a simple tick box form has caused all this.
In this day nd ge of mega technology how can such a cock up happen?

Pizzaexpress2 Thu 01-Nov-12 20:37:13

God so many autocorrects ...... Not due back at WORK, never been to Orkney.
It would be funny if it wasn't so shit.

TaggieCampbellBlack Thu 01-Nov-12 20:41:03

Happens fairly regularly where I work. It's blush but will be fiiine.

Bloody NMC is a joke. And fees going up to £100 next year. Bastards.

SauvignonBlanche Thu 01-Nov-12 20:41:50

It'll be sorted by Tuesday.
It's horrible but don't beat yourself up over it. brew

merlottits Thu 01-Nov-12 20:44:00

Look I'm an employer and this happens more than you think.
It's obvious they don't think you're at fault so calm down and think rationally.
There is nothing more you can do till you get the green light now.

The NMC are a shower of shite, OK? grin

lunar1 Thu 01-Nov-12 20:49:41

Dont worry, it happens. A very senior, old school DON i used to work with worked with a lapsed registration for 7 weeks before anyone realised!

Pizzaexpress2 Thu 01-Nov-12 20:51:47

Thank you for your kind reassurance. I just feel so rubbish. I am house sitting on my own tonight so that doesn't help. Dh is at home rightly fuming on my behalf as well having to cope with dc's.
I can't believe the fee rise. We are such conscientious professional, hardworking people held to ransome by that shower.
Will have a glass of wine and try and put it into perspective, thanks all.

tiredemma Thu 01-Nov-12 20:53:26

It happens quite frequently tbh. Don't stress about it! It's not the end of the world. It happened to me last year, I had a first written warning that remained on file for 12 months , no problems thereafter and my colleagues were too busy with their own lives to worry about me and my PIN. Stop worrying!

SauvignonBlanche Thu 01-Nov-12 20:56:54

wine - enjoy!

Pizzaexpress2 Thu 01-Nov-12 20:58:38

Thank you. Just smiled for first time since yesterday morning.
Means a lot.

missingmumxox Thu 01-Nov-12 21:11:22

I am amazed you haven't known this happen to someone else, especially in 20 years f nursing, it is incredibly common.

It has happened to my Bf twice, nearly happened to me last year, but I had a I wonder? moment 2 days before it lapsed and had a day to sort it out.
the hospital I trained at insisted you still work but as a HCA and pay was corrected down to reflect this, and you don't get any back pay, when it is corrected, which I can understand it isn't the hospitals fault either.

my friend ended up traveling to the NMC offices at sort it out on 1 of the occasions taking a days unpaid leave as it was cheaper than losing her H grade money for the "maybe a week maybe 2 depending on the post and if we receive it this time" this was the days before e-mail acceptance and she said there was a very long queue when she got there for opening time.

you are also lucky with your HR warning you as the NMC don't and nor does the HR where I used to work, the first people and BF know of it is when they are ordered to change their uniform.

I wouldn't even be embarrassed, you did what you where supposed to and wait til you get back and hear other peoples horror stories of the NMC, remember they are not there for our benefit.

lou4791 Thu 01-Nov-12 21:21:34

Happened to me a few years ago. Luckily I managed to get it sorted really quickly. There was no fuss made. A colleague had the same a couple of months ago. Ended up missing 2 shifts because of the mix up . She didn't give a monkeys.
Stop worrying.

Pizzaexpress2 Thu 01-Nov-12 21:37:22

It is good to know it does happen to others. Never heard of anyone before however one of the blokes in hr did say they get a few every month.
Just such a cock up.
Hope it is sorted by next week.
Thanks again.

Pizzaexpress2 Fri 02-Nov-12 05:53:54

Just checked again. I am back on the register. Phew!
Thank you for your kind words, it really helped me to hold it together.

SauvignonBlanche Fri 02-Nov-12 19:12:54

Great! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now