Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Two part time jobs - inland revenue?

(5 Posts)
jaabaar Tue 30-Oct-12 15:14:17


If I have a job 4days a week and another for 1 day a week.
How does this work with tax? As I cant get twice the allowance?

I am completely ignorant in tax issues, but cant claim ignorance to the taxman! Anything I need to do or know?



itsatiggerday Tue 30-Oct-12 15:15:23

You need to tell them about both jobs so they put you on the right tax code. The tax should all still be deducted at source but they need to know what you're doing to do that. Worth getting sorted, otherwise you might get a surprise bill sometime in the next few years.

MaryBS Tue 30-Oct-12 15:17:21

Depending on how much you earn, you can split the allowance or claim all the allowance under one job. What happens is you fill out P46s when you start a job (or hand in a P45), and one one you declare its your main job, on the other you declare its a second job, which you pay tax at basic rate on, but if you aren't earning enough in total to pay tax, then contact the IR and get them to split the allowance.

posyplum Wed 31-Oct-12 13:27:05

I would do as Mary says, and probably also do a tax return to make sure you have paid the right amount. My MIL works for several different nursing and teaching agencies and has just handed eight P60s to her accountant! You can do them yourself though, they are straightforward with a P60.

jaabaar Thu 01-Nov-12 10:22:56


Thank you so very much for having taken to them to give this valuable advise!
Apprecaited! smile


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: