Talk

Advanced search

Just seen my perfect job advertised but...............

(7 Posts)
mammasmadhouse Thu 25-Oct-12 16:23:02

I have just seen a job advertised and would say that it is my perfect job, but it is advertised on a 12 month fixed term basis. Having asked whether there is any likelihood of further funding to make the post permanent they are at the moment unable to confirm either way. My dilemma is that I am currently employed in a permanent post so I would be mad to apply for it don't you think?

I have been really miserable of late in my current job and asked for a seconded role and was told that they couldn’t guarantee I would have a job to go back to if I went, so on the other hand I have nothing to lose, although I am concerned that it will affect things like my mortgage renewal etc.

Why is everything so complicated!!!

becstargazeypie Thu 25-Oct-12 16:29:44

I work on fixed term contracts. It depends how comfortable you are with risk, and how likely it is there would be more work for you elsewhere if it finishes without being renewed. In my opinion/experience I am no less secure in my employment than someone who is on permanent salary - they can find they've been made redundant at the drop of a hat just when they'd extended their mortgage. They just have the illusion of security. Whereas I know exactly what date my contract ends and am always looking for the next one. And I can be quite open about it with whoever my current employer is as well - ie no sneaking around to go to interviews, I can say 'I'll be in late tomorrow because I've got an interview at a RivalCompany for a project starting when this contract ends.'. I like that. But not it's not for everyone.

FireOverBabylon Thu 25-Oct-12 17:13:31

DS has just turned down a 3 year fixed term interview, although it's much closer to home than his current post, because it was definitely fixed term - they'd given someone a career break, and it wasn't worth us struggling to remortgage next summer etc. for a job that wasn't going to be permanent.

If you are renting / have few commitments, it's worth the risk to get the breadth of experience from the temporary post but not if you have a mortgage to pay.

Rockchick1984 Thu 25-Oct-12 17:16:25

On a fixed term contract your salary couldn't be included when renewing your mortgage. Is it a joint mortgage? If so would your DP's salary be enough on its own? If not, and you will need to change your mortgage within the next few years, I would be very cautious.

If you come to the end of a mortgage deal, you can just roll onto Standard Variable Rate, and that wouldn't be a new application so your income doesn't matter at all. It just takes away the element of choice for you if you were looking for a new deal.

Ignoring the mortgage application side of it, if you could manage without a job (potentially) for a few months at the end of the contract I would go for it. I know how miserable it can be when you're in a job you hate smile

Soopermum1 Thu 25-Oct-12 21:29:39

I disagree Rockchick, I've just got a new mortgage and am on a fixed term contract ending in May. Some banks just want to see evidence of full time employment and some want to know if it's permanent but will still consider fixed term contractors if you have 2 years worth of statements to show previous earning capability.

Rockchick1984 Thu 25-Oct-12 21:33:56

I can only speak for the bank I was a mortgage adviser at until 2 years ago, I would have thought that was the same at all lenders.

bigkidsdidit Fri 26-Oct-12 07:12:39

I'm on fixed term contracts too. Like a pp said, you could be made redundant at anytime in a permanent role so I don't see it as much different. What is better is a) you know exactly when you will finish so long term planning is possible and b) my current boss usually helps me with my cv, networking etx and applying for the next job, as there is no chance of me staying on and therefore no reason for them not to. I like it, moving every two years means my skill set is very wide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now