Talk

Advanced search

Applying for a job in early pregnancy

(4 Posts)
grainmum Tue 23-Oct-12 09:57:45

Hi, I've recently moved city. For the past 3 months I've been doing locum work which I don't enjoy particularly due to the lack of continuity. A job has been advertised in a workplace that I like, it is part-time. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant. Closing date for the job would be when I am 8.5 weeks. Just to complicate matters I had a missed miscarriage in July at 10 weeks.

So - where do you stand applying for a job in early pregnancy? Is it dishonest to apply and not mention the pregnancy - I wouldn't plan to tell anyone until after a scan - this might be after any interviews. Should I apply and then if short-listed for interview mention it so that it is fair to them? If I don't apply but then this pregnancy isn't successful anyway, that would be silly.

Help please! It doesn't feel very good to me to be secretive!

Sossiges Tue 23-Oct-12 10:00:37

Honesty is the best policy IMO

slev Tue 23-Oct-12 10:13:22

I disagree (sorry!). I wouldn't say anything at this stage - you've got no obligation to and as you say, while I've got my fingers crossed for you that goes okay, it's such early days that you just don't know. And although they can't legally not employ you because of it, it would be at the back of their minds when comparing you with other candidates.

I interviewed for a job when I was pregnant (without knowing) and started when I was 10 weeks pregnant. These things happen and employers deal with it. Yes, it feels underhand but at times you have to be a bit selfish and do the best thing for you - and if that means applying and getting a job and then telling them once you start, so be it.

Rockchick1984 Tue 23-Oct-12 17:56:18

You only legally have to inform your employer before you are 25 weeks pregnant, I certainly wouldn't disclose to them at any stage until you have actually started the job! You can say you didn't know until then. Put it another way, if you are the best candidate for the job, you still will be while pregnant.

You wouldn't qualify for SMP although will probably get maternity allowance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now