Talk

Advanced search

GP medical questionnaire and new job

(12 Posts)
Boboli Mon 22-Oct-12 11:02:22

I'm about to start a new job, 6m contract, great company.

My heart sank when my offer came through with request for a medical report from my doc.

I was signed off with work related stress for 3 weeks in my last role which led to a mutual
agreement my role was redundant and I left.

The stress was brought on because on return from mat leave my role had really evolved from part time to full time and based at another location with loads of travel. I thought I could manage it but I couldn't.

I've told new employer about redundancy and evolution of role but not about stress.

Should I have a word before they see medical report or just leave it for them to discuss with me if an issue?

I don't have any history of stress related problems. I take medication very very occasionally to help with anxiety. Will that be in the report?

I find this v intrusive!! Any advice or insight welcome.

mudipig Mon 22-Oct-12 15:30:21

Are you in the UK? This seems very odd practice. Do you mind me asking what the nature of the role is? Have they definitely asked for a GP report or is it possible it's a medical questionnaire for you to complete and send in to occupational health?

Boboli Mon 22-Oct-12 16:37:58

Hi - yes I am in the UK and it's a very well known national company too. It's definitely a GP report they are going to ask for - I wish it were a questionnaire as I'd have an official way to declare it.

Because of the nature of the business, they have to be v stringent about background checks (makes it sound like MI5 but far from it I can assure you!)

ISingSoprano Mon 22-Oct-12 16:41:37

Is there a box to tick to say you would like to see the GP report before it is sent?

mudipig Mon 22-Oct-12 16:46:56

Oh I see so it might be normal for that type of industry.

Hopefully they will just be asking if you're fit for work and how long you've been registered with the practice. I think it would be very odd for the GP to give access to your medical history. I'd ask the GP if you can see the report before it's sent. Or at least go in and talk to him/her about it.

Certainly with occupational health, the medical information might be seen by occupational health department or HR but it isn't necessarily released to management. So I wouldn't declare anything to the employer at this stage if it were me.

Finbar Mon 22-Oct-12 16:50:14

Just stick to the facts - that you had limited amount of absence due t stress ( you and the rest of the world actually- it's now the highest reason for why employees are off sick). DOn't elaborate unless asked. It's key for them that this episode was a one-off, so you might want to add that.

You cannot be discriminated against for this - unless perhaps this role is deemed to be some special kind of job where the pressure is so immense for mere mortals( am being facetious)
Good luck

Boboli Mon 22-Oct-12 16:52:36

yes there was a box but I didn't tick it - on reflection, perhaps I should have done but I didn't want to give the impression I had anything to hide or hold things up as I'm starting in 3 weeks time and they're anxious to get things moving (as I am!)

thanks mudipig, I think that is going to be the best way forward. I don't want to make an issue out of something which isn't an issue iyswim.

Boboli Mon 22-Oct-12 16:57:48

thanks Finbar, that puts my mind at rest.

It's quite an eye opener for me - I always thought the nature/contents of my Doctor's appointments would be highly confidential. My Doctor says that they can't hold anything back as they're being paid to do the report. Obviously I don't want them to lie but I feel exposed and I don't like it.

AlexanderS Mon 22-Oct-12 19:13:10

I didn't think companies could still do this since the Equality Act came into force in 2010. They are not allowed to not give you the job because of anything in your medical record, so why ask for it?

I would get legal advice if I were you, OP.

Boboli Mon 22-Oct-12 20:34:35

I'm curious too - don't get why they need the info and what they would be able to do with it once they have it? It's not a physical role, no more mentally stressful than most roles out there.

mudipig Mon 22-Oct-12 20:46:39

Just seems really inappropriate and as it would be illegal for them to use it to decide on whether or not to give you the job, completely unnecessary.

I would have thought a large national company would know that.

I can only really think this is appropriate in certain regulated industries - like oil or gas or marine or if you are working with vulnerable people. Or perhaps something like a telecoms company where the majority of the staff are climbing masts and things.

ISingSoprano Tue 23-Oct-12 08:42:53

OP, your medical records are of course confidential. However in this instance you will have signed your consent for your GP to release the information in your medical record.

Pre-employment medical reports are usually used to screen people into jobs not out. The employers want to know what, if anything they need to do to support the employee to carry out the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now