Talk

Advanced search

Arrrgggghhh!!!

(10 Posts)
Bubblyjubblymummy Sun 21-Oct-12 20:42:14

Hi there

I know I shouldn't complain because jobs are difficult to find these days but I feel like a square peg in a round hole! I got a job in a school thinking it was what I wanted, what happened is my CRB got delayed and I was put to work in the school office to do reception and admin.

Turns out I absolutely love it, clerical work is very me particularly the PA side of things. I have very intermediate experience with IT and need to brush up on my typing/Excel/Powerpoint but I think if i just practised at home with a book i'll speed up. I would like to do a secretarial course but they all seem extremely pricey.

I don't like working with children even though i have 1 of my own, I just can't see myself in 5yrs time dealing with kids. I can see myself being an executive secretary or PA though. People are always telling me i have a lovely telephone voice, i'm usually very bubbly friendly person that gets on with everyone. I think im very organised and sensible. Are these good qualities?

Help me what should i do?? I'm currently searching for a job in reception, I'll take any level. I can't leave my current job only been there 8 weeks.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions. x x

AntoinetteCosway Sun 21-Oct-12 21:01:18

What's the problem? You're working in the office and you love it...

Bubblyjubblymummy Sun 21-Oct-12 21:31:18

Yes but when my crb comes through i will be put back with the kids. I don't want to go back there again, want to stay where i am but there are no vacancies.

tribpot Sun 21-Oct-12 21:36:35

Presumably you're on probation? Part of the point of this is for both employer and employee to test whether it's the right fit. By the sound of it, you've discovered something about what you do and don't enjoy doing - and unfortunately that puts you outside the remit of your intended job.

I would be honest with them. It's inconvenient, but it happens.

A common route into PA work is via temping. There's a good chance of being taken on permanently if they like you.

Bubblyjubblymummy Tue 23-Oct-12 15:13:31

Thanks you two for your help. I know what i need to do, I've got to have the talk don't I!!! x x

jaabaar Tue 23-Oct-12 16:00:44

What is most important! Follow what makes you most happy and still covers the bills! If you find that, you are a rich person! Good luck! x

slug Tue 23-Oct-12 16:22:08

There's no need to do a secretarial course. They are pretty much redundant these days. Google free online courses

janey68 Wed 24-Oct-12 21:48:54

Presumably the reception/admin job is available too (they wouldn't have put you there if they didn't need someone. They could have just delayed your start date if they needed to wait for your crb)
Can you not explain how you're really finding this line of work fulfilling and you see your future here?

Bubblyjubblymummy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:23:32

I actually haven't said anything yet, I've been applying for higher paying jobs in the city, got 2 interviews! I don't know what to say to the manager of my current work because she hired me for a certain job, she might not now want to keep me in the office.
Blimey, it's like going on a date and finding out the chap's really into you but your'e not into them

Bubblyjubblymummy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:29:18

Slug, thanks for that suggestion, i am looking into it..and Janey I don't think there are any openings, I think they just put me there to avoid sacking me..lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now