Talk

Advanced search

Applying for job while on maternity leave

(6 Posts)
Betterthedrivelyouknow Sun 21-Oct-12 18:48:29

After a bit of advice.
I'm currently 8 months into my maternity leave, due to go back to work in Jan.
A role I've had my eye on for a couple of years has just been advertised and I'm in the middle of the application form.

There's no obvious place on the form to mention that I'm on ML- should I try to fit it in somewhere, or leave it and explain it a interview (if I get an interview!)?
If i got the job, are there any other implications I should be aware of, or would it just be a case of handing in my notice?

TheAngelsHaveTheOod Sun 21-Oct-12 18:52:49

I applied for loads last mat leave. Didnt mention it, only talked about notice I had to give.
Be aware that if you get occupational mat pay you may need to repay.

Rockchick1984 Sun 21-Oct-12 18:58:11

I'd mention it at interview. Would you be willing to return before Jan if you got the job? If so I would be tempted not to say anything, however if you wouldn't be looking to start the job until Jan I think you would have to tell them as its longer than an average notice period.

ziggers Sun 21-Oct-12 19:04:56

I applied for and got a new job whilst on maternity leave. It was a managerial position and more money, and with a company I had heard good things about. I didn't mention being on Mat leave till interview, and it didn't seem to bother them at all. I started back a bit earlier than I would have done at my old job, but only a few weeks. There was talk from my old company that I would have to pay back some maternity pay, but it transpired that the annual leave I had accrued covered it. Good luck with the jobsmile

Betterthedrivelyouknow Sun 21-Oct-12 19:23:18

Thanks for your input!
I'll leave if off the application and will probably mention it at interview if I get that far.

WidowWadman Sun 21-Oct-12 23:20:57

I've done that twice - in the first week of return from 1st maternity leave had interview, was offered the job. Mat Leave was never mentioned on CV, as that's continuous employment. I mentioned it in general chitchat around interview, but it wasn't a big topic, as they were more interested in what I could I bring to the job than in the fact that I've been off for a while. Got the job, together with a big fat payrise.

Second time I had interview on last day of mat leave, that was an internal interview with a different department. HR obviously knew that I was off, I mentioned it to the hiring/interviewing manager, but again, since having children had nowt to do with how good I was suited to the role, it wasn't a big thing. Got that job, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now