Talk

Advanced search

Requesting flexible working after 6 month probation period. Madness?

(5 Posts)
MtnBikeChick Tue 16-Oct-12 22:49:20

I moved to my new job earlier this Summer and have a 6 month probation. It is going well (joined a busy department really in need of another team member, work going well, team leader recruiting another person to do same job as me and my colleague). I am a professional and work 'in-house'. In my previous role I worked 4 days a week (but regularly worked very late nights). My new job is fairly 9-5, but full time. I needed more regular hours but I do really miss my one day off. I am considering submitting a flexible working request once my probation ends. Is this madness? Obviously the role is full time, but I think it could be done in 4 days. My husband has a very good job in the City and has recently been promoted, meaning he is away from home more. I am starting to feel that my little girl needs a bit more time from us both and an extra day would give her that. I am lucky in that I don't have to work - but I do want to. To add to my confusion, my old employer is keen to hire me back...on my terms, into a role I can broadly define for myself. However, the role I am in now is a career enhancing role - it is giving me new and different experience that will, in the long run, benefit me. I think it would be very damaging (and possibly seriously career limiting) to quite my new job now! So...submit the flexible request or give it some time? I guess they can only say no....

sausagesandwich34 Tue 16-Oct-12 22:55:18

did you not talk to them about a 4 day week before you started?

I think legally you have to be employed for 12 months before you have the right to request flexible working but only you know if your besses would look on it favourably?

is anyone else on your grade working a short week?

sausagesandwich34 Tue 16-Oct-12 22:55:47

besses??? -bosses obviously doh!

janey68 Wed 17-Oct-12 07:34:51

I think you'll have to think through really clearly how you would frame such a request.
Your post focuses on your desire to have an extra day off during the week, whereas a FW request will need to focus entirely on how you can do that without compromising the needs of the business. Tbh I would have thought if the job could be done on 4 days a week then I would expect your employer would be only too happy to pay someone 4 days rather than full time! Think about how you would feel if they only agree to 3 days instead, so they can cover the other 2 days (IME it's a lot easier to find a job share partner for 2 days rather than 1. Although 4 days can sound an attractive proposition for the employee, it's often not Great for the employer).
No harm in going for it if you can put together a water tight proposal

blueshoes Wed 17-Oct-12 08:59:32

I agree with janey.

Your flexible working request needs to focus not on the benefits to you but on how you could do the role in 4 instead of 5 days. That includes how the company will cope and what cover, if any, you might be able to provide on your day off.

It is a good indication if others in your role have already been granted flexible working. But if you are the only person doing your job or you are the trailblazer in the team, then it is less certain what the outcome would be and all the more important you put a good business case in your application.

As for whether it is career limiting, well, it is not supposed to be but if there are other equally productive ft workers in your team, then I am afraid that is life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now