Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Off work sick but been offered a job advice needed

(6 Posts)
kel63kel Tue 16-Oct-12 01:24:09

Hi there I'm new to this but need some advice I been off work for 4 week due to stress as my mam is poorly and I work a good 45 min drive away, while I been off I have been offered a job subject to references an crb check I have advised at interview that I am currently off sick at work but was still advised job is mine as long as crb check an references ok, i have no worries with crb check just worried about reference as I'm off sick haven't told current employer don't know what to say an dint know whether to just hand in notice really want this new job as so much closer 2 home and its something I've wanted to do for long time. Any advice would be much appreciated.

annh Tue 16-Oct-12 08:41:34

Well, you could resign from your current position but you will still need a reference from your current employer. If your new employer is aware that you are on sick leave and the circumstances surrounding this, then they may be expecting some mention of absence record on any reference. Unless you have concerns about anything else which they may say in your reference, it therefore shouldn't make any difference to the job offer? More generally, however, as your current absence seems to be due to your personal circumstances rather than your work, I would expect any new employer to enquire about how you feel you will be able to function in a new role when you have been off with stress in your current role for a month? Apart from being closer to home, what else will change?

flowery Tue 16-Oct-12 09:26:55

I agree with annh.

Why are you worried about the reference? If you've been honest with the new employer about your absence, and that's the only issue from your current employer, what's the concern? They may notify the new employer of the amount of time you've had off if they are asked, but it sounds like that shouldn't be a surprise to the new employer anyway?

kel63kel Tue 16-Oct-12 10:21:33

Sorry I may have put it wrong I'm not worried about reference in such I work hard and I do my job yes I have advised new employer why I'm on sick an he was fine with this I also advised that I had a long term absence last year due to my sister passing away in the July then my dad in November so I have been honest I think what I'm worried about is if new employer asked current employer for reference an I'm still on sick what will my current employer say to me I keep in contact with them all time I would just hand notice in but want to till everything comes back. I am on sick sick with stress due to mum but it also down to my work its call centre work I've had 6 different managers in 18 months I just know I would be a lot happier being close to home Thanx hope this helped

annh Tue 16-Oct-12 10:31:35

Well your situation is no different to anyone who has been offered a new job subject to satisfactory references then. As your current employer, I would not be hugely impressed if I received a reference request for an existing employee and had been given no indication that you were leaving, especially as it seems that they have been understanding of your sad family circumstances. If you have no concerns about what the reference will say, I would at least let them know that it is your intention to resign and they will be receiving a reference request from Company X.

flowery Tue 16-Oct-12 10:38:51

Oh yes, you need to notify your employer beforehand, obviously, they can't get a reference request and find out your intention to leave from your new employer, that has to come from you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now