Talk

Advanced search

Holiday entitlement for part timers

(5 Posts)
helpneeded01 Mon 15-Oct-12 11:40:51

Hi
I understand 5.6 is the standard entitlement for a full time employee and to work out part time you take number of days worked I.e 3 x by 5.6 to get number of days for the year which includes bank Holstein.

Could someone tell me what happens if in October their 3 days a week increases to 4 days how do you work out any extra days holiday for remainder of the year they may be entitled to??

Thanks in advance smile

mrscumberbatch Mon 15-Oct-12 11:45:46

Holiday entitlements vary from workplace to workplace.

I usually find that Part Timers holidays get calculated on an hourly basis. As it is impossible to pro rata into days (and the company is too stingey to round it up!)

Depending on whether your business year runs from Jan-Jan or April to April you will get X months calculated at the new rate.

Might be worth reminding HR to do so though!

Also... bank holstein?

helpneeded01 Mon 15-Oct-12 12:40:16

Hiya

Thank you for your reply.

We don't have a HR dept, basically i started here in jan doing payroll and keeping on top of peoples holidays etc. The person I took over from was very clued up on holidays etc there is no one else in the company who deals with it.

I am the only part timer and it's my hours that have increased.

Could someone give me a calculation to work it out based on hours or something obviously if I'm working more for next 3 months I will prob be entitled to a little more holiday so just wondered how to work it out. Holidays run jan-dec
Thank you

helpneeded01 Mon 15-Oct-12 12:42:48

Lol bank holstein was my phone being a bugger meant to say bank holidays

BirdyBedtime Mon 15-Oct-12 12:48:48

Here's how I would do it (I am p/t too).

Entitlement for a year is 5.6 x 3 (days) x 7.5 (hours as this is the standard working day in my org) = 126 hours for someone working 3 days per week, so 126/12 x 9 for Jan - Sept = 94.5 hours.

From Oct-Dec you up to 4 days therefore annual calcuation is 5.6 x 4 x 7.5 = 168 hours, so 168/12 x 9 for Oct - Dec = 42 hours.

So your annual total for Jan - Dec would be 94.5 + 42 = 136.5 hours (or 18.2 days at 7.5 hour days)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now