Talk

Advanced search

Changing job and now pregnant... Not the first am I?!

(3 Posts)
NurseMuddled Sun 14-Oct-12 23:13:03

Moving from NHS hospital to NHS community job & working out notice period currently.
Week after interview (and day after I accepted provisional offer of job) found out was pregnant (had started not doing anything to stop it happening but DD took 6mths & fertility monitor so 6wks this time huge surprise). Have progressed with handing in notice/all background checks complete & start date now formalised.
Will have first scan wk before I start, and feel should tell manager week I start but feel so nervous (already feel deceitful even though I know I haven't done anything wrong).
Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any constructive/supportive advice?

slev Mon 15-Oct-12 09:32:09

Yep, been there, done that. I signed a contract and found out I was pregnant the next day. I was about 8 weeks when I started, but told my line manager within the first couple of week as I didn't like feeling underhand - even though it wasn't my fault!

They were actually surprisingly okay - I just said that obviously it wasn't ideal but that I was still very excited and dedicated to the job etc. There's really not much they can do so I think it's just a case of being honest and then getting on with the job. It's a horrible feeling and I completely get where you're coming from, but these things happen and it wouldn't have made their life any easier if it had happened in a year's time, they'd still have needed maternity cover etc.

And congratulations! Tell them, get it over with and then enjoy your pregnancy!

DottyDot Mon 15-Oct-12 09:34:43

Yep - I work in the NHS and had my interview when I was 5 weeks pregnant - didn't tell them as it was very early days, but I did tell them when they phoned to offer me the job a week later. Thought it was only fair to be up front. I started the job 4 months pregnant, worked for 5 months, took 6 months off and then came back to work full-time and have been here for 9 years. So they've got their money's worth out of me grin

I'd phone them up and tell them - nothing to feel bad about or worry about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now