Talk

Advanced search

Any other bosses around? I need a hug.

(10 Posts)
Lukethe3 Fri 12-Oct-12 10:51:33

I've run a small business for 8 years during which time we've grown from 0 to 11 employees.
Due to me being off for 4 mths maternity leave and the recession, the business hasn't grown as planned and I am about to go to work to tell one member of staff that she is to be made redundant. She is an excellent member of staff, highly skilled, but I simply cannot afford her. It's the first time I've made a redundancy and it feels awful. I don't think she has seen it coming and it's going to be a shock. I think she'll get another job easily, but imagine the guilt if she doesn't! Any helpful advice, comments?

flowery Fri 12-Oct-12 12:26:52

Are you taking proper advice about the process? Even if its just one employee you still need to consult with her, rather than just telling her she is redundant.

Apologies if you have done this, it's just your OP implied you may not have done.

flowery Fri 12-Oct-12 12:28:34

That wasn't the requested hug, sorry! It's horrendous i know, and you have my sympathy but it will be worse if you make legal errors and get the business into trouble.

hermioneweasley Fri 12-Oct-12 12:30:13

Agree with flowery about the need to follow process.

But here's a hug. It's really shit, and if you didn't feel like you do you would be an arsehole.

LeChatRouge Fri 12-Oct-12 12:40:52

I would want her to leave the meeting feeling sad and dissapointed, but fully understanding exactly why this has to happen, so I would write down all points on a notebook and also in a letter for her to take with her.

Discuss everything in the meeting so she knows all of the next steps and the timeline. Leave enough time for her to absorb/cry/ask questions etc.

Consider putting the meeting towards the end of the day so she doesn't have to face her colleagues afterwards. Put in some more time the next day for the questions that will arise once the news has had time to sink in.

lisaro Fri 12-Oct-12 12:42:33

Agreeing with above. You need to go through a proper consultation process and follow certain legislation. Please get professional advice.

Lukethe3 Fri 12-Oct-12 16:32:39

I did get professional advise which said that because she had only been employed for 6 months then I didn't have to follow any process. I now really hope I have been given the correct advise?

lisaro Fri 12-Oct-12 16:34:52

That definitely does put a different slant on it. It sounds right. smile

Lukethe3 Fri 12-Oct-12 16:48:49

Phew!

If you are giving her a month's notice period, maybe consider telling her she can have time off for interviews, and that you will coach her for them if she wants? (obv if you yourself want to!)

Being able to offer something positive may help both her and you.

Do you have any contacts in the industry that you could recommend her to?

This sort of stuff may however be more suited to a second meeting.

Good luck, it's horrible to have to do this, but if you handle it well you never know, she could end up spreading good feedback across the industry about you. You never know she could be back working for you again in a few years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now