Talk

Advanced search

Working in Spain or France

(9 Posts)
Witco Thu 11-Oct-12 23:15:13

My husband has a bad chest and struggles with our damp climate. I am taking a pay off from work at year-end and am wondering how easy or possible it is to move to Spain or France or somewhere where the climate is kinder to poorly chests. I speak schoolgirl French and a bit of tourist Spanish. I work in Financial Services and DH works in Telecoms.

Ponders Thu 11-Oct-12 23:19:18

what chance of either/both of you working remotely online for a UK company?

Witco Thu 11-Oct-12 23:39:30

Nothing has come up so far, any recommendations?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 12-Oct-12 07:29:11

Having been to Spain this year and seen all the closed shops. Plus any job I have advertised this year has had many many Spanish applicants I would say the chance of finding work in Spain is slim. Plus friend in France was made redundant and took 17 months to find work in Paris even though he's bilingual.
European employment prospects pretty grim currently.

StillSquiffy Fri 12-Oct-12 08:47:13

Agree - Europe is pants for employment. Spain simply has no jobs, France will give preference to people who are fluent in French (although if your DH is highly technically skilled there may be opportunities in their version of silicon valley down in the Var). Realisitically though your best bet would be to look far further afield where recession less of an issue, or to sit it out until Europe recovers.

amongst the more far-flung places, the growth areas (mostly in SE Asia) are also areas of high humidity which might not help your DH. Oz/NZ may give you enough points to get in because of your industries, so you might want to start looking at opportunities there. Not sure about the Middle East at the moment - was dire last time I worked on projects involving the ME, but may have picked up in Dubai etc in last year or so.

Think a bit more deeply about where you could possibly work and then repost your query in the 'living overseas' section of MN as you will get far more responses from people on the ground.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 12-Oct-12 08:53:20

Luxembourg could be a solution. Big finance and telecoms centre. Summers are warmer and drier than the UK and winters are colder and drier. DH has asthma and finds the climate ok.

That said we're in the mddle of a damp and miserable week, but depending on where you are could be an improvement anyway. There is not much pollution out here.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 12-Oct-12 08:54:05

Oh, and English is the main workng language in Luxembourg.

Witco Sat 13-Oct-12 21:29:47

Thanks everyone, sage advice

BadMissM Tue 16-Oct-12 13:49:47

France also has complicated residency qualifications, and you would have to have the money to show them that you're financially sound (or be sponsored by a resident), and it takes time to get a Carte de Sejour and Social Security number. Most French employers also expect you to be pretty much bilingual, reading, writing, and speaking, and many ask for another language as well. Maybe do some work on your languages while you're looking? Also look in areas of work where being a mother-tongue English speaker will give you some brownie points.

I thought I had quite good French until I actually got there. It also depends where you live, and how many people from elsewhere in the community...near Paris, it was fine, but when I lived in the south, there was a certain suspicion of foreigners.(I lived there for quite a few years).

Maybe at least sound out the international arms of companies you intend working for. If one of you has a guaranteed post to go to, the company will do all the residence paperwork, and it's a lot easier if you have at least one income to rely on while the other is searching for a job. The other thing is to think laterally and look around your skills to a post which will be roughly in your are and where English speaking is a plus point?

As @PetiteRaleuse pointed out, you could also maybe look at other countries, like Belgium or Luxembourg, which have a continental climate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now