Talk

Advanced search

Have an interview for a more senior position and bricking it - Need help please!

(7 Posts)
bunjies Thu 11-Oct-12 13:35:48

I have an interview for a more senior position than my current role and am seriously lacking in confidence about my ability to come across well.

I know the behaviour criteria I will be asked questions on but I feel such a fraud for getting an interview. I need some advice on how to present myself confidently and being assured in how I talk as I am making myself feel sick woth worry about coming across as a total loser. Do managers need to talk in a particular way? Do you use particular vocabulary? What do I dooooo?

Oh, and I need to deliver a presentation on managing virtual teams. I don't know anything about managing virtual teams <wails>.

God, I should really stick to jobs at my own level shouldn't I?

SmellyFartado Thu 11-Oct-12 14:35:30

You have to knock these confidence issues on the head - the fact that you have an interview shows that they are interested in you and believe in your ability to do the role. There's a saying 'fake it til you make it' and I'm a big believer in this as someone that was shy when I first started work too. That's not to say you should change who you are or act completely differently but just focus on projecting the image you want to - confident, assured, knowledgeable, etc

Research, research, research on what they're looking for and how your skills may fit in - you may lose some of the fear by having this in your armour before going for the interview.

Not sure what virtual teams are to be honest but look again at what's expected in the job interview and see if there's some info on this online to be able to give you ideas for your presentation.

Above all, good luck - hope you get the job thanks

SmellyFartado Thu 11-Oct-12 14:36:23

Job DESCRIPTION sorry, not job interview. Can't even type properly today grin

ishopthereforeiam Thu 11-Oct-12 14:51:41

They wouldn't interview you if they didn't think you could do it so have some faith and confidence in yourself!

No magic vocab appears when you reach management level but just act like you belong there... and hopefully soon you will wink.

Managing virtual teams - I'd guess things like having regular catch ups (con calls / video conferencing and also visiting when you can for face to faces would help promote stronger working relationships) but also take a look at this: http://sloanreview.mit.edu/the-magazine/2009-summer/50412/how-to-manage-virtual-teams/

good luck!

bunjies Thu 11-Oct-12 15:01:41

Thanks. I know I'm being pathetic & really don't deserve the job if I behave like this. It's come as a bit of a surprise tbh as I only applied for it on a let's see basis.

bunjies Thu 11-Oct-12 16:50:06

Thank you ishop - just been looking at the article. Some good points to raise.

ishopthereforeiam Thu 11-Oct-12 16:50:42

hth! grin let us know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now