Talk

Advanced search

Workplace fire training- probably wrong forum if so sorry

(5 Posts)
Theas18 Thu 11-Oct-12 12:21:21

Hi

I've just remembered ( thank you google diary - not!) than I'm expected at work at 1pm for fire training

This supposed to go on till 4- what the heck can't there be to take 3hrs?

Majorly pissed off to be honest because I don't work Thursday's!

What happens if employees have to do half a days compulsory training on a day they don't work? I assume the employed members of the team are paid or Ivan time off in lieu?

I'm in an odd situation as I'm a partner not an employee. I want to tell them they can jolly well give me the time back to be honest, but I kmow that'll not be popular. ( anyway I have to pick ds up at 2.45 so I can't stay for it ll anyway so they'll probably shoot me).

Sorry.

My Thursday's are so precious and , though I know it's the only day it can be held I'm cross!

FireOverBabylon Thu 11-Oct-12 12:25:14

We pay p/t staff for the time we ask them to come in for mandatory update traning. I would guess that the training would cover evacuating staff and customers (if relevant), how to confirm, and to whom, that areas of the building have been checked and are empty, if you're lucky how to use a fire extinguisher etc.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 11-Oct-12 13:21:00

What does your partnership agreement say about working on days off etc? Basically mine says that at the end of the day partnership is before family.

Rockchick1984 Thu 11-Oct-12 16:50:06

Our fire training in my last job included things like different extinguishers and what to use them on (and tests etc to make sure we all remembered), where fire alarms are, different ways out of the building etc. I'd say 3 hours is about right to be honest.

For us, staff on an hourly rate got TOIL for it (mostly entry level staff). Management and anyone on a salary rather than hourly rate didn't get anything back for it, as contracts state that hours were minimum 35 per week, with additional hours to be worked when required.

Theas18 Thu 11-Oct-12 18:44:47

Thanks! Lone cat that is a very moot point!
Off to check tomorrow...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now