Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

behaviour in the staff room -kind of an AIBU

(5 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Fri 05-Oct-12 21:18:00

most people at work have an hours unpaid meal break

during this time people are free to use the staff room

there are a group of men at work who take their lunch everyday at the same time and they sit on their phones, looking at offensive jokes, mainly just showing them to each other but the odd one gets read out and they laugh and swear like navvies!

I've asked them to tone it down but their argument is that they are on their break and it's their staff room too

so should I just shut up & put up or should they tone it down?

Blistory Fri 05-Oct-12 22:08:22

No you absolutely don't have to put up with this. Your right not to be made to feel uncomfortable trumps their 'right' to be sexist. Their behaviour may well be harassment. File a grievance

They are on a break but still within the workplace so have to abide by workplace rules around discrimination etc. I would certainly take this further as I would feel very uncomfortable in that environment.

LonelyCloud Sat 06-Oct-12 17:48:49

Does your workplace have a written "Code of Conduct"?

We have a written code of conduct at our work, and it mentions offensive jokes, swearing and harrassment as examples of unacceptable behaviour at work. This applies in all parts of our office, whether people are on a break or not. I'd have grounds to take this to my manager or HR if it was going on in my workplace.

sausagesandwich34 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:21:24

not as far as I'm aware, we have a bullying policy but I don't think it covers it as they aren't aiming it at anyone

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: