Talk

Advanced search

Grievance dilemma

(13 Posts)
indecision Wed 26-Sep-12 17:05:21

I just don't know what to do.

I love my job. Really. I look forward to going in every day. Although not well paid, it's part time, fits round the kids and is very near home. I also work with some great people.

The company is relocating and I am ineligible for any petrol expenses under the company policy. My job is not actually at risk but the increased travel means that soon there will be a massive dent in my take home pay - about 18%. I've joined a union who say this is unreasonable and that I have good grounds for a grievance, the aim being to make the company pay me mileage. On the other hand, friends and family are saying, in effect, suck it up - you should be grateful to have a job you love in the current economic climate.

DH has a good job and in the scheme of things it won't cause us too much hardship but I do feel angry on principle that this can be forced upon us. On the one hand I think there's nothing to lose with pursuing a grievance, if I get paid the mileage then great, if not then at least I've tried. But I do worry that a grievance is a serious step and I'll not make myself popular with the bosses. But then, maybe they exploit the fact that many staff don't want to make a fuss.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

AgentProvocateur Wed 26-Sep-12 17:08:31

How far is it moving?

indecision Wed 26-Sep-12 17:10:52

Hi Agent

About 22 miles/50 minutes.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 26-Sep-12 17:21:00

ACAS may have some good advice re unreasonable-ness.

Before going down the grievance route I would have an informal meeting with your manager to see if there's something that can be arranged.

For example if you are working 5 hours over five days could you change it to 6 hours over four days? Or work from home on one day?

If I had a good team member who was unhappy or thinking of leaving I because of this move I would be trying to mitigate this, although it may not be possible to pay an allowance (setting a precedent).

AgentProvocateur Wed 26-Sep-12 17:21:08

I don't know where you stand legally, but that distance sounds like a reasonable commute - plenty of people do that, and further, every day. I've been in two companies where the Edinburgh office closed and staff transferred to Glasgow. I think traveling costs were paid for 12 months as a gesture of goodwill (and they were more than 50 miles apart).

My gut feeling would be to suck it up, if you're otherwise happy there. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon with better advice. smile

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 26-Sep-12 17:26:17

Sorry I meant 5 hours a day for 5 days - not saying you are only in for an hour a day blush

indecision Wed 26-Sep-12 17:31:51

Love the name Unexpected!

There's no homeworking in view of the nature of the business and although they've said condensing hours might be possible, for me this would mean job no longer fits round the kids. Boss has said there's nothing more he can do.

omfgkillmenow Wed 26-Sep-12 17:35:45

you might actually enjoy the "me time" of the commute, I used to put my favourite tunes on full blast just have some time to myself. Sorry got no actual advice but good luck.

indecision Wed 26-Sep-12 17:43:18

True. It's the cost of travel not the actual travel that annoys me ...and all my wasted dreams of our hypothetical Australia trip in a few years!

StillSquiffy Wed 26-Sep-12 19:45:27

22 miles would not be considered far away enough by a tribunal to allow for a claim, so really you have no grounds for a grievance. Although there is not to my knowledge a precedent for distance in terms of relocating, even if the journey were no longer considered feasible, the way of dealing with it is not more pay, but offering redundancy as an alternative, and that's not an outcome you'd want. Appealing for 12 months fare assistance is probably a good idea here, but a grievance is unwise.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 26-Sep-12 22:32:22

Thank you indecision smile

It sounds like they have tried to accomodate you a little, but it's a shame that they won't give some consideration to extra travel costs. Could you ask for a raise?

The only other thing I could suggest would be to invest into a more economical car or car share.

twinkle01 Sat 29-Sep-12 16:01:49

can anyone please help. I have been ill off work for the last 4days both myself and son have been ill with a sickness bug i am a single parent and when he is ill there is only myself to care for him. In total this year i have been off ill twice myself and twice for my son both only a max 1-2days per sickness. I have returned to work today and when i got home i have received a letter from my company H.O asking me to attend an annual review! it says that i am entitled to be accompanied by a trade union rep or work colleague??? i think this is weird never have i had a work review/performance review or appraisal and been offered a work colleague or trade union rep to attend!! why would they need to offer me this? why would i need them if all it is a review? I thought only investigations/disciplinary meetings, a company would say you are entitled to a work colleague or trade union representative?
SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ME i'm worried they are trying to get rid of me and i have 2 weeks until 12months service within the company

DiddyMary Sat 29-Sep-12 23:39:56

Twinkle, you'll probably have more chance of being noticed and getting a replies if you create a new thread of your own with a title describing your specific problem.

For clarity - when your son has been ill, have you booked this as time off sick or something else? There are old threads here about the difference between the two. You might find some useful advice if you seach for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now