Talk

Advanced search

Manager wants me to work moreflexible shifts after 6 years of having set days and hours

(7 Posts)
tillykabilly Wed 26-Sep-12 10:53:54

Hi Everyone,

After returning to my job in a Spa in 2006, I have been working 3 set days a week and only between 9-5. I have today been given a letter inviting me to a formal meeting with my boss to discuss my hours as they say due to the economic down turn, they now require me to be more flexible. I have breakfast club and aftershool club set up on the days I work and they are full so I know I can alter the days.

Someone else mentioned that if an employer have given you set days and hours for that long they cannot change it. Is this true and where can I find some information that does support this.

Can someone help me with what the employment law is stating?

I have already signed up to do temp work on the other two days and will leave my current job as soon as I get a good job offer... now hoping that happens really quickly!

I would really apreciate your comments.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 26-Sep-12 11:05:56

I have just had legal advice to achieve a similar outcome with someone who has been employed for 14 years. The long and short of it is yes they can, but they need to go about it properly.
This maybe a fact finding meeting to see whether you can be more flexible or not.

Ferrybridge Wed 26-Sep-12 11:15:38

Don't you need childcare when you're temping?

Go to the meeting with an open mind, you never know, you might find the proposed changes suit you.

At our breakfast club, although it's full, a certain number of places are kept for parents who work shifts and can only give limited notice as to what sessions they need, so you may find they can accommodate you.

happymyrtle Wed 26-Sep-12 21:09:17

I have been emplyed by my current firm for 12 years, 6 years full time and then part time (2 days a week and every third saturday) since the birth of my first child 6 years ago with maternity leave again to have my second child 4 years ago. i have been asked to increase my days to as near as possible to full time, but I cannot increase my hours either practically (no more room in nursery and 4 year old not at school) or emotionally as i do not wish to work full time and put my children in full time nursery and after school/breakfast clubs. my employers advise that this is not a redundancy situation, but i am very anxious not to shoot myself in the foot where benefits etc are concerned by appearing to have chosen to leave my job because the new terms offered to me don,
do not suit me. any advice much appreciated?

Durab Fri 28-Sep-12 13:41:58

When I was in exactly that position happymyrtle this charity working families really helped me out.

The upshot for me was that whist it is legal for an employer to change your hours, if you can't do them because of caring responsibilities it's not quite so easy for them. It was a long time ago and I don't remember all the details but their helpline was great. Once my boss realised I was taking proper advice, he backed right off with the pressure he had been putting on me.

iseenodust Sun 30-Sep-12 17:00:34

Not an expert but I think tilly and happy are two different scenarios. Tilly if they are asking you to work the same number of hours but at different times they have to consult with you but if it is part of a business restructuring and they can prove no customers say mon morning but plenty thurs evening then you're in a difficult position. With happy they are asking you to do more hours but if you don't take them why can they not advertise another p/t role alongside yours?

starfishmummy Sun 30-Sep-12 17:29:32

I have reduced working hours and it is part of the agreement that they are subject to review annually, Tbh management rarely do it, only once in 8 years. (they asked if i could be more flexible, I couldn't; end of conversation). Perhaps this is just something like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now