Talk

Advanced search

I need a change!

(5 Posts)
sweetheart Mon 24-Sep-12 23:08:03

In my 20's I was ambitious, dynamic and successful in my field which is finance. I'm now in my 30's and had thought I had started to get lazy but recent personal challenges have made me realise I'm just very very bored with my current situation. I've been in my job 11 years and it is no longer fun or a challenge.

Id like to change fields but not sure what I coud switch to. Things that interest me are fitness, fashion (although I'm no guru!) event planning, weddings etc. that sort of thing.

I'd rather not work evenings and weekends are really need to earn at least £40k per year.

I'm used to the business running side if things can manage people and money. I'm very organised!

Anyone got any idea what I can do with the rest of my life?

DevaDiva Tue 25-Sep-12 08:20:22

You should see a careers advisor. I'm using a company called Penna whoa re helping me find my next role as my position was made redundant recently, they are great. I'm not looking to career change but they do help people with this too. Not sure how much their fees are as my guilty ex-employers are funding it. Sorry not much more advice than that other than to say I'm a marketing manager and u love it, tons of variety creative but also analytical and bloomin good fun tbh so you could look at that I'm sure you will have transferable skills. Good luck wink

Rockchick1984 Tue 25-Sep-12 11:36:48

Realistically, the areas you are interested in will mainly involve evening and weekend work! Wedding and event planning will mean working unsociable hours as you would need to fit around your client's working hours. Same with fitness, unfortunately. I think the only one which wouldn't immediately mean working weekends is fashion but I have no idea what area you could go into earning the sort of wage you are looking for in a fashion based role, other than perhaps a retail area manager but you may have to look at store manager roles first depending on your experience, again these would involve working evenings/weekends and salary would be far lower than you are looking for.

Agree you need to see a careers adviser to match your skills and interests to a role.

sweetheart Tue 25-Sep-12 23:44:41

Thanks for he recommendation deva ill take a look into that.

Rock, that's my trouble! I'm a very sociable person interested in sociable things / jobs which obv people do in their spare time. I'm wondering if there is a way I can find a niche that will work for me

sweetheart Tue 25-Sep-12 23:45:16

Or maybe go corporate so it would be contained to normal office hours??!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now