Talk

Advanced search

Top Grade interviewing

(5 Posts)
parttimedomesticgoddess Wed 12-Sep-12 20:58:51

Does anyone have any experience of, or tips to share, for top grade interviews? I have one scheduled for next week (not for any kind of management level position, it's an admin role) and would love to hear anything you could share from either side of the interview process....

beanandspud Thu 13-Sep-12 14:36:55

I would expect a candidate to know:

- Roughly what they think the role involves
- Why they want to work for us
- Why they want this particular role
- What relevant skills or experience they have

I would expect them to be appropriately dressed, to know something of the company and to be able to talk through their CV.

I would also expect them to be able to give 'real-life' examples of times that they have worked under pressure/managed a team/delivered great customer service/overcome a challenge etc. depending on the specific role.

parttimedomesticgoddess Fri 21-Sep-12 14:32:13

Thank you for the advice beanandspud
Sorry for not replying sooner, but just wanted to say that I got a call this morning to offer me the job grin
Thanks again

Snog Fri 21-Sep-12 14:35:51

congrats!
what does top grade mean here - I have never heard the expression before - does it mean for super senior positions?

parttimedomesticgoddess Fri 21-Sep-12 16:39:21

Thanks grin
The title should have read top grading interview, and it wasn't for a senior position (although I think it's a fantastic company so I'm really chuffed to get the job). Top grading interviews mean talking through each stage of your life from school (GCSEs, or O levels in my case), then university, then each job that you've done since, and for each 'chapter' you are asked to describe what you did, how you felt about things, what you achieved, and what you learnt about yourself from each chapter. That part of the interview took 3 hours and 40 minutes! From what I've been able to read about it, a lot of the point of it is that you can't hide in this type of interview - very few, if any, can keep up a front for that length of time, so it should weed out those who are great at interviews, but not necessarily going to be good at the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now