Talk

Advanced search

Carers days

(4 Posts)
ChablisLover Mon 24-Oct-11 20:24:41

Hi

How many carers days are you entitled to?

Ds is ill and the teacher advised us not to send him to school tomorrow.

Dh wants to farm him out to grandparents. I say no mainly cos he is my son and if it was me I'd want my mummy to be around. And also cos dh father has poor chest (lung cancer) and would not want to make him ill.

So basically need to know how many carers days u get and if these are pro rated for part time workers.

Thanks in advance

hairylights Mon 24-Oct-11 22:40:20

m.direct.gov.uk/syndicationController?action=view¶m=DG_10026555&utn=34c448a66c5a42878ac0201110242233

That link shows you your statutory right to unpaid emergency leave.

At work we are generous and allow up to three paid days a year in case of emergency. This is to enable caters to attend to emergencies, and if needed, arrange additional care.

missingmumxox Mon 24-Oct-11 23:34:54

3 days in my last job plus 3 at the disgression of the manager, new job 3, interestingly I have never used my whole allowance, on my children, but always used all 6 days in my last job as my Dad was very ill, he died 4 months before I got pregnant.

I even got called into the office once after my Dc, over my lack of using it as they thought a mistake had been made judging from my previous years, there had, they had me down for 2 days and infact it was 1 smile .

Check your companies policies and also as much as I totally get the wanting mummy, I rarely got that as a kid, but Grandma's house was so much calmer, but the important person is dhf, if he has lung cancer he could be at risk from infections, so it maybe sensible to protect him.

Oh! and it isn't just mums who can get careers leave, dads can too, so get hubby to check his work arrangements, this can be a life saver in a bad year to work it between both, otherwise it will be unpaid and whoever earns the least would possibly be the best to take the time off.

I would really like to push that Dad's and other carers say of parents or siblings, use this leave if offered by your employer, as it is one of the reasons us working Mums get a bad rep, and yet if it is offered as a benefit then it has to be open to all, and as I said I used it far more with my Dad, 6 days every year for 4 years, since my boys 1 day, in 3 1/2 years of working with them.

hope they feel better soon.

ChablisLover Tue 25-Oct-11 12:09:52

Thanks all

Took day off and went to docs with ds - chest infection.

Dh will take half day tomorrow and then will go from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now