Talk

Advanced search

NI contributions while on Maternity Allowance?

(4 Posts)
TimeWasting Mon 24-Oct-11 10:45:06

I'm self-employed and paid my Class 2 NI contributions so I'm currently receiving Maternity Allowance. Do my contributions continue while I'm on mat leave?

Last time I was on Mat Allowance I'd been employed on a short-term contract so wasn't officially on mat leave as wasn't employed iyswim, so I'm unsure this time.

LIZS Mon 24-Oct-11 10:49:43

Think you'll have the option to make them up, although claiming Child Benefit gives you credit for the time off but does not pay actual contributions.

NickNacks Mon 24-Oct-11 10:50:23

I carried on paying mine -for the sake of approx £11/month I couldn't be bothered to cancel and restart the DD as I had so many issues getting it set up in the first place. However, you do not need to pay them as your MA covers you for that period.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 24-Oct-11 10:59:49

Im still paying mine, thinking that I'm getting an amazing service from the NHS during maternity and beyond let alone everything else that £11/month isn't that much to put into the public coffer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now