Talk

Advanced search

Fit notes

(11 Posts)
welshmammy2009 Fri 21-Oct-11 21:15:32

ive been signed off work for a month by my doc he thinks I'm borderline depressed but has not put me on any meds just advised me to rest. I don't want any time off work if anything it will probably make things worse. Do I have to take time off sick, do I need to tell my employer?

razors Fri 21-Oct-11 21:20:28

No you don't have to take the leave and you don't have to tell your employer - how about St John's Wort instead?

welshmammy2009 Fri 21-Oct-11 21:25:07

I might tell my employer just so he knows I'm struggling a bit at the moment but I really don't want to take leave. I've been researching st johns wort on the Internet think I might give it a try

hairylights Sat 22-Oct-11 08:02:14

Just be mindful that your employer could well be annoyed that you are refusing to pay attention to medical advice (especially if your conditions affecting your work). I would be.

Takeresponsibility Sat 22-Oct-11 11:53:36

If your GP has stated that you are not fit for work then you will find that you are not covered by the employers insurance (on the ground that you have medical advice not to be there).

If some idiot drives into you in the car park or you fall down the stairs then you would not be able to claim any compensation, or that it qualifies as an accident at work.

You need to go back to your GP and get a fit note either saying you are fully fit or detailing what you are fit for (e.g no evening or night work because you need your sleep, or no operating machinery because you have trouble concentrating - he just states what you are fit for not the reasons - these are my examples of how depression may affect different areas of work that are not immediately obvious)

Finallygotaroundtoit Sat 22-Oct-11 12:03:40

Telling your employer that you're 'struggling' puts them in a difficult position. What do you expect them to do with that info?

Either you are fit to work or you aren't.

Your GP thinks you're not.Take GPs advice. Hope you're feeling better soon.

welshmammy2009 Sat 22-Oct-11 17:47:59

The problems are at home so staying hope will probably make me feel more depressed I really want to be at work focusing on something and keeping to my normal routine

flowery Sat 22-Oct-11 19:29:07

If you think you are well enough to work and would benefit from being at work, that's a discussion to have with your doctor, who can sign you as being fit to work if he agrees. If you're signed off you shouldn't go into work, and if your employers know you are unwell and not fit for work they should not allow you in.

didldidi Sat 22-Oct-11 19:34:37

Crikey a month seems a long time for 'borderline depressed'

welshmammy2009 Sat 22-Oct-11 20:08:00

I agree didldidi can't believe how easy it was for me to get signed off work. The doc said I need to have some time just to relax and look after myself I thought he might mean just take a few days off to chill not a whole month!!

An0therName Sat 22-Oct-11 21:05:26

why don't you take a couple of days -see how you feel and go back to the doctor and disuss further. I found when depressed the book CBT for dummies was v helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now