Talk

Advanced search

DH being victimised in his company?... think his senior are trying to get him sacked

(15 Posts)
cantmummyhaveabreak Fri 21-Oct-11 17:40:22

DH has worked for the same company for about 7.5y now. Started as at the bottom and has been a manager for coming up to 6y now.

Late Jan the company started to do major re-constructing of the business, loosing a few highly paid members of staff. One being DH's area manager. The new area manager (lets call him X) has always been blunt with DH from the start and when he was made a manager X said to him 'if i was your area manager you'd never have been my choice'...

Fast forward to about 4mths ago, DH was getting really ill with anxiety, panic attacks and depression because of how X treated him on store visits, he would spend the whole 6hrs of his visit shouting at DH instead of discussing things with him, he likes things very differently to how DH is used to so it is a big change, along with knowing X dislikes him.

DH finally went to the GP after being on the verge of suicide because of incidents on a particular day at work with X. He was put on AD's and is seeking every type of help avaliable to him. Due to financial reasons we could only afford for DH to be off work for 6wks... he returned to work about 5-6wks ago now.

This last week DH has been investigated for 6 things, all of very little importance, but together make it look like DH is incompetent at doing his job. When DH returned to work he had a 'back to work meeting' in which he asked for support in getting himself back into the role and getting his store to the standards wanted by X. X had promised to attend this meeting but on the day didn't turn up- instead he had a 1 to 1 with DH a bout 2 wks ago. DH told him how he felt and X seemed to take it fine on the day.

Since the 1 to 1 X has been documenting every single thing DH has done 'wrong' in his eyes, ie- things that were supposed to be a tool to help DH are now being considered compulsary, so where DH hasn't filled it in 100% of the time thinking it was only to help him he's being disciplined for it... also DH had a conversation with him about something at the end of the conversation it was confirmed for DH to continue sending emails, but not confirmed for DH to still make daily phonecalls... 2 weeks later as DH had not spoken to him he's pulling DH up on it saying he failed to do as instructed- why couldn't X phone to ask why he'd not called?

Today a second disciplinary is taking place because he is questioning DH's ability to work within his 'work profile'... DH is ill, he requested support and he has got none, he has requested help with getting back into his role and he has got none...

with all these things being thrown at DH all in the space of 3 days he is at rock bottom, i fear for his health and his safety- is X being unfair on DH? does anyone know what we can do if DH is ultimately sacked because of these things?

I'm sat here in tears just worrying how we're going to survive this...

I need any information or links possible to help so we can appeal or take them to court for unfair dismissal should DH loose his job. He's been applying for jobs left right and centre, he's applied for over 200 jobs in 2 weeks (not counting before then too) and heard nothing back from any... so we need to do whatever possible to stay afloat and to get the right outcome from this.

X has also been known to have 'bullied' people enough in the past that they have left, with X having a high standing position within the company (used to have a v.high standing job in the company) DH fears that if he files a grievance it'll be laughed at....???

StillSquiffy Fri 21-Oct-11 18:22:53

If he doesn't file a grievance for bullying then it will only get worse. Your DH needs to understand that if he does nothing to make things change then they will stay the same. This kind of behaviour is obviously X's M.O., and it will only stop if X is forced to stop.

The worst thing that can happen is that he gets pushed out of the company for filing a grievance, but is that any worse than taking the punches and trying to carry on? At least if he takes some kind of action your DH is starting to take back a little bit of control over his own life.

It must be an awful situation for you both, but there is only one option really (unless of course the company has a switched-on HR dept, but I imagine you would already have gone down the route of talking informally to them if that had been an option)

cantmummyhaveabreak Fri 21-Oct-11 18:29:43

DH has just text me saying because he's being disciplined no-one at HR will talk to him... so he can't even do anything till this is dealt with... in which case he'll be unemployed, nothing will be recorded and we'll be pissing in the wind if we want to try and get anywhere with unfair dismissal wont we???

StillSquiffy Fri 21-Oct-11 19:02:43

He can raise a grievance at same time as being disciplined, and I think he should, otherwise he will get pushed out. He should also chat all of this through with a solicitor to see how strong his case is regarding the bullying. would your DH be able to speak to the other people who have left because of X? If any of them raised a grievance at the time and it wasn't dealt with, that would strengthen your DH's position.

philmassive Fri 21-Oct-11 19:06:43

Does your dh work for an electrical retailer in the north of England by any chance? Not prying but it is relevant.

Kayzr Fri 21-Oct-11 19:21:49

Cant, as I said on other thread there is no real advice I can give you but I am here for you.

cantmummyhaveabreak Fri 21-Oct-11 19:26:51

yes phil...

cantmummyhaveabreak Fri 21-Oct-11 19:34:46

StillSquiffy- i dou't he'd be able to speak to others who this happened too, he never really knew him, however we have ex-employee's who are friends and may be able to help us with more info on past incidents...

philmassive Fri 21-Oct-11 19:38:23

I am writing this on my phone so can't pm you. Does the area manager have the initial R and is the company the one that isn't currys?

cantmummyhaveabreak Fri 21-Oct-11 19:40:32

No- i dont think you do know him then.... but i'm scarily worried at how much you knew!!

philmassive Fri 21-Oct-11 19:45:45

Just your story is virtually identical to my dh's and I wondered if they worked for the same person. And the language you used was the same as my dh's company uses. Hope your dh gets sorted out. I just want mine to leave to get away before it kills him.

cantmummyhaveabreak Fri 21-Oct-11 19:51:01

Yeah, i'm hoping DH can get a job elsewhere to leave asap... i can't believe how close our stories can be with 2 different companies- we're not the only one's having to cope with ignorant buggers with no human compassion... It's frigin awful and i really sympathise with you, i hope you find a solution.

On a positive note DH has said that if he is dismissed then he's gonna fight it all the way!! So at least he has some fight in him smile

SESthebrave Fri 21-Oct-11 20:29:13

Cant - I'm so sorry things have got so bad sad

I'm not an expert in these matters having had no proper HR training, but I do work in a similar role to that of an Area Manager for a large chain of retailers.
For all of the formal / disciplinary meetings that have happened, your DH should have had the right to have a representative there - one of his colleagues or a member or his trade union if he is a member. There should also be a written record of these meetings detailing what has been said. Your DH is entitled to have a copy of all these notes. This may help demonstrate what is happening if he goes to a solicitor or Citizens Advice.

Does the company have an Occupational Health Department? Your DH is entitled to ask for an appointment to see them so that they can assess what support he needs. This is often quite detailed advice which would be further evidence if X does not take this advice.

My experience of these situations is that there should be some specifics agreed - firstly some clear achievable goals for your DH but also some clear support being offered. If this has not happened, this also helps your DH's case.

Hope something from that can help and that things improve. It is great that he has some fight left in him. It must be so hard for you as well as him but all you can do is support him and try to boost whatever confidence he has left.

Thinking of you x

hellokittyruleswastink Fri 21-Oct-11 21:05:31

oh cant- so sorry that you are both going through all of this
i am hear if you need to talk
sorry i cant offer any advice

SESthebrave Fri 21-Oct-11 21:18:24

I've just run it by my DH.

DH says his advice would either be to leave due to his health and take out a case of contstructive dismissal on the grounds of discrimination because of mental health issues (ie stress and anxiety)
OR
Speak to X's boss or the HR Director and explain the situation, raising a grievance for harrassment, bullying and discrimination.

Using the word "discrimination" rings alarm bells with employers as the penalties that tribunals can impose are unlimited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now