Talk

Advanced search

Bank hols- full time colleagues getting double time

(8 Posts)
bettiejane Tue 18-Oct-11 12:46:50

I hope someone can help. I work 2 days a week in a shop tues and fri. These are a verbal agreement with my manager and I. If the full time staff work on bank hold apparently they get double time. I do not. Is this correct practice?

HarrietJones Tue 18-Oct-11 12:52:32

If you work a BH you get different pay you mean?

vickibee Tue 18-Oct-11 12:57:10

perhaps you have to work FT hours of 40 before you can get o time pay?

bettiejane Tue 18-Oct-11 13:12:38

Hi yes I just get my regular hourly rate, full timers get double time .

bettiejane Tue 18-Oct-11 13:23:54

Bumpsmile

KatieMortician Tue 18-Oct-11 17:41:06

Well if they have an employment contract that gives them double time and they were all employed before you then that's fair enough.

However, if you used to be full time and get double time for bank holidays and now you don't because you are part time then that is not right and neither is bringing in new people on full time contracts and giving them double time for bank holidays but not you because you're part time that's not right either.

Overtime is any time "over" the contracted hours. So if you work 5 hours a week over time is anything over 5 hours a week. If 45 hours a week it is anything over 45 hours a week. Not than an employer has to pay anything extra for overtime hours. Some salaried staff are expected to work extra hours for no pay.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Tue 18-Oct-11 20:19:41

If you work a tues and fri then you aren't working any bank holidays, with the exception of the royal wedding in April .... Bit late to bring this up or have I missed something?

KatieMortician Tue 18-Oct-11 20:29:08

I think you've missed that even though the employee is not working as many bank holidays as a full timer she will work some. Every good Friday and in years where Christmas and New Year fall on a Friday or Tuesday or where Christmas day falls on a Saturday or Sunday giving the Monday and Tuesday off.

Employers can't treat employees more favourably because they're full time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now