Talk

Advanced search

How much did your works opinion of maternity leave/pregnancy affect your decision on when to have children?

(3 Posts)
verybusyspider Tue 18-Oct-11 11:03:41

I'm starting to think having 1 or 2 is viewed as ok but if its more than that then some companies view it as taking the p****, I also have friends who are delaying children until they have finished a project or similar as they think it wouldn't go down well to be leaving the company in the lurch...

onlylivinggirl Tue 18-Oct-11 16:00:56

I didn't think about it for number 1 - but it was so difficult coming back (lack of maternity cover, lack of support on return) that I am actually thinking about it for number 2- I also have a potential promotion (my boss is supposed to retire at some point in the next 1-3 years) which I'd like to factor in - . Also I can sense that my bosses almost expect me to have number 2 so are sort of disregarding me at the moment- but I think if I'd had two they would assume I was done (or rather they wouldn't presume I was going to go off on leave ant any minute) and i could get back on tracy.
That said I am trying to think about timing based on the whole of my life/family not just work and also am very aware that you could plan it perfectly time wise for work and just not get pregnant

higgle Tue 18-Oct-11 16:20:06

Times have changed since I had my two children. I waited 2 years in the job I took when I got married, then I was made a partner so I felt it only fair to wait another two years. I changed jobs before I got pregnant so I gave my new employer 2 years before I tried again. I was married 7 years before DS1 was born and I took 6 weeks off. I would not have dreamed of getting pregnant very quickly again so I waited another 2 years before trying again, and took 8 weeks off with DS2. I earned a lot of respect from my male colleagues because of this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now