Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

should I take the job?

(7 Posts)
wotisup Fri 14-Oct-11 22:31:34

I'm two months pg, and have just had a successful interview for a 12 month fixed term contract to cover someone who is going on long term sick - (major op, recovery and physio before returning) with a firm I have done some temp work for recently. I think the ftc would be extended if I was able to prove myself, but I know I wont be working the full 12 months, and I will also need some reasonable adjustments to the job responsibilities, and to the working hours (I've had a look at the expectant mothers risk assessment,) they dont know I'm pg. If I take the job I think I'll get good benefits - paid leave for antenatal etc and some maternity pay (havent worked out what I'll be entitled to) should I take the job?

Grumpla Fri 14-Oct-11 22:37:19

You won't qualify for SMP or an in-house maternity scheme if you're already pregnant. You may be able to claim Maternity Allowance instead - check the website.

What are you doing at the moment? Might another opportunity come up at the same firm in the future? If it were a permanent position Id say go for it, but as it is a fixed term contract and you know already you won't be able to complete that term, is it worth potentially alienating the employer?

Grevling Sat 15-Oct-11 08:44:38

"I will also need some reasonable adjustments to the job responsibilities, and to the working hours"

I was going to say yes until I read that. Please try to remember they're not running the business for your benefit but their own - walking in the one first day and saying that you're not doing the full 12 months and you need some hours changes and can't really do what they hired you for will win you no friends at all. That is assuming that you get the hours/work changed you want, there is no legal right to have any of this changed because you're pregnant. They have to look after your H&S that is all.

Bear in mind that under 12 months service they can get rid of you with no reason at all. They can't use pregnancy as a reason but they don't need to supply one either.

I think if would be a serious error in judgement to not tell them before you start.

wotisup Sat 15-Oct-11 20:07:34

Thanks for your comments.... I'm still wondering though, because the job would give me regular income for 6+ months, that is hard to say no to, sometimes you have to just think of yourself. I do feel I would be kind of cheating the firm, but I'm still torn. I have till Monday to decide. If I tell them I want the job, and I'm pg, I could let them decide?

flowery Sat 15-Oct-11 21:07:47

No you can't let them decide. They've already decided they want you and if they withdrew their offer because of your pregnancy that would be illegal discrimination. You need to make the decision to either accept or decline their offer.

Grevling Sat 15-Oct-11 21:47:09

With flowery but remember you could always offer to do 6 months, that would cover the immediate requirement and you wouldn't feel bad if you agreed this before you start.

wotisup Sun 16-Oct-11 21:56:33

umm.. I've decided to accept the job... I will tell them I'm pg once everythings signed off, I need the guaranteed income to save for when I'm on mat leave. Thanks for all your comments.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: