Talk

Advanced search

Not eligible for Mat Leave - Mat allowance??

(3 Posts)
AliJaneT Fri 14-Oct-11 20:48:17

Hi everyone,

I started a new job in mid Sept in v early stages of pregnancy. I've just done the sums and realised as I will not have been working there for 26 weeks prior to 15 weeks prior to due date maths face I will not be eligible for Statutory Maternity Pay. Pretty upset about this but the law's the law. I understand I will be eligible for Maternity Allowance but does anyone know what other benefits I will be entitled to?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Ali

fanniadams Fri 14-Oct-11 21:48:00

Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I cant really comment on what other benefits you may be entitled to - have you looked at the direct.gov.uk website, there is loads of useful info on there? You will probably get Child Benefit once your baby is born, unless good old ' call me Dave' and his cronies have abolished it totally. What I wanted to say, was don't worry too much about being on Maternity Allowance rather than SMP - as its only the first 6 weeks when the amounts really differ,

For SMP the first six weeks at 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings and then 33 weeks at the lower of either the standard rate of £128.73, or 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings

Maternity Allowance is up to 39 weeks at £128.73 or 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings.

It is a PITA if you earn quite a good rate, as you loose that first few weeks on nearly full pay but after that, you probably see no different.

The form is really simple to complete too and I got a response within 14 days telling me I was eligible.

HTH

flowery Fri 14-Oct-11 22:15:01

Yes MA only differs from SMP for the first 6 weeks, then you're on the same basic rate. I wouldn't have thought you'd get other benefits while you're on maternity leave, other than child benefit- you're still employed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now