Talk

Advanced search

Refused increase in hours

(11 Posts)
jackiefrost Fri 14-Oct-11 19:14:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NickNacks Fri 14-Oct-11 19:18:56

Yes I think its fair. All companies (especially the NHS) have payroll budgets and if the money isn't there, it isn't there. You were the one who requested the drop in hours which they agreed to (didn't have to) and now you want the hours back again because you're due a pay cut. Can't have it all your own way I'm afraid.

flowery Fri 14-Oct-11 19:34:57

Of course it's fair! You can't expect them to hold open extra hours in case you might want them at some point in the future!

MadameCastafiore Fri 14-Oct-11 19:36:56

Completely normal inthe NHS - they don't even back fill maternity in the Trust I work for now.

ginmakesitallok Fri 14-Oct-11 19:37:50

yes it's fair - you agreed to the decrease in hours, they are not obliged to now increase them because you've changed your mind.

ginmakesitallok Fri 14-Oct-11 19:38:33

should have added - where do you think they will get the money to increase your hours??

FlossieFromCrapstonVillas Fri 14-Oct-11 19:39:33

They have wage budgets, they cannot magic hours up for you on your say so. Hilarious!

cjbartlett Fri 14-Oct-11 19:40:39

Yes it's fair
I'm surprised you thought you'd be able to up your hours in the Nhs when cuts are rife

AurraSing Fri 14-Oct-11 20:14:23

Unless you had an agreement to review the hours in May, I can't see that you have a case. As others have said, the money to fund the additional hours disappeared months ago.

NoGoodAtHousework Fri 14-Oct-11 20:19:36

It's the same in normal companies as well, if you drop to part time hours it change you t's an c's and therefore you can't just flick a switch to get them full time again. I have found this out while sorting my return to work after maternity leave.

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Fri 14-Oct-11 20:25:44

Agree with everyone else - it's entirely fair! Presumably, when you chose to drop your hours, some of your work had to be picked up by someone else. They're not going to fire someone else just so that you can have your old hours back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now