Talk

Advanced search

i am interviewing two people tomorrow, not conducted interviews for aaages.....

(11 Posts)
NormaStanleyFletcher Thu 13-Oct-11 18:22:15

My boss has already telephone interviewed them, so his boss and I are doing face to face. It is for a BA job, they will be My peer. I suspect that both of them have loads more experience than me.

Any pointers on interviewer technique?

Bossybritches22 Thu 13-Oct-11 18:55:41

Let your boss do the techy job specific stuff. It's your job to get to know the applicant better & show how they will best fit in with you & the team.

Pick something interesting from the application form to allow them a chance to show their personality.

If you don't like them don't be afraid to say so & why but be prepared that he might not agree!

NormaSatansFelcher Thu 13-Oct-11 19:04:31

Thank you bossy.

I think I feel a bit out of the loop in that I don't know exactly what they are after. I think they are looking for someone who has all the BA tool experience to come and upskill the rest of us. Apart from that, I can only try to guage whether they will "fit in" (very small team).

Will re-read CVs and see if there is something I can pick out

Bossybritches22 Thu 13-Oct-11 23:42:27

Don't know if you'll see this Norm.

Can you & the boss have a quick talk before you start & divide up a list of questions that are key ones to be asked? Although some may lead on from previous answers it's wise to have the main ones the same for all candidates & document them as such to be fair to all applicants. (having had a problem with that myself post-interview) You were crap in the interview & came over as a twat unsuccesful isn't always enough!
Good luck

LoveBeingAWitch Fri 14-Oct-11 02:48:41

I would speak to him and find out what he is looking for you to do during the interview, he may want you to focus on the notes/paperwork side more and then look for you input afterwards during discussions of the candidates.

NormaSatansFelcher Fri 14-Oct-11 07:08:58

Ta for advice. Will try to get some sense out of My management before interview. They really are not the most organised bunch!

MoreBeta Fri 14-Oct-11 07:46:41

I know your boss might not agree with this approach but the most in depth interview I ever had was one in which the interviewer simply asked me to talk about my life form birth right up to the present day.

He stopped me every now and then to explore something I had told him about myself.

I asked afterwards why he had interviewed me that way and said it was the easiest way to find out what a person is truely like, their attitudes, motivations, beliefs and how they express themselves. It is very hard to put up a front and fabricate an entire lifetime of experience.

Bossybritches22 Sat 15-Oct-11 09:47:23

Good one MoreBeta! I shall remember that-unusual but effective!

NormaSatansFelcher Sat 15-Oct-11 10:00:26

Well, did the interviews. I asked them stuff about things in their CV in more detail.

Turns out neither was suitable.

It looks like I may have to do more of this in the future. Does anyone know of any good online resources that I could look at in interview techniques?

LaCiccolina Sun 23-Oct-11 17:42:11

Yep - look on some recruitment websites. Seriously, they always give away free advice for interviewees, so reverse it. Suggest Joslin Rowe for example.

Gleek Sun 23-Oct-11 17:46:34

I have a document of competency based interview questions I can send over to you, I am a recruiter, DM me if you would like them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now