Talk

Advanced search

Do you like the term SAHM/SAHD?

(3 Posts)
nappyaddict Thu 13-Oct-11 16:52:11

Or do you think there is a better term that could be used?

MowlemB Fri 14-Oct-11 12:52:39

No, but I can't think of a better one either.

The trouble is I think most people are on a sliding scale and whilst some fall into either camp of being SAHM or WOHM, using the dichotomy seems to ignore all the women in between. This ranges from the woman who is home all day but maybe goes out to work in the evenings / weekends to the part time workers who (like me) work school hours with school aged children.

Thye worst term I find is 'full time mum'. This I find completely objectionable on 3 grounds:

1) All parents are full time parents whether they work or not.
2) You would never say a man is a part time dad because he works - so why imply it of a woman
3) What about SAHM of pre school / school aged children - if they are not with their children 100% of the time either, then surely they're not a 'full time mother' either.

Also hate housewife, because that implies you stay at home to tidy up, and when I'm home housework is the very last thing I'm doing grin.

nappyaddict Sun 16-Oct-11 12:54:28

I work evenings and stay home in the day and I am looking for work during school hours now to fit in with DS, but wouldn't call myself a SAHM. If someone asks me what I do for work I tell them I work as a waitress in the evenings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now