Talk

Advanced search

Job application - part time request

(13 Posts)
belindarose Mon 10-Oct-11 12:51:29

I've just written an application for my perfect job. The right area, my current field, the role I've trained for and have recent experience in. Two jobs available so double the chance! Utterly perfect and I can meet every bit of the person spec...

Except, one is full time and the other is 4 days. I have a 2 yo and currently do 2 days (in a job I dislike). I can see myself managing three days and cm says she'll fit us in somehow. I just can't do four. DH works more than full time, including lots of weekends. I want to spend time with DD.

I contacted the named person before downloading the application form, who said it was worth applying anyway in case others make a similar request. Anyway, the point of this post is to ask where I should put this information on the application? At the end of the supporting statement? There's a 'preference sheet' to attach to say which post I'm applying for, and it's neither really.

Or can anyone suggest how else I might handle it? The pay rise for the 4 day post would certainly be enough to pay for a cleaner...

belindarose Mon 10-Oct-11 13:07:50

I might have just talked myself into the 4 days. We're TTC so if that's successful soon then I can revisit the hours after mat leave. It really is the job I've worked towards for years...

But DD will hate it...

ExpatAgain Mon 10-Oct-11 13:14:31

if i were you, I might very well wait til interview and bring it up then. if they like you, they're more likely to be amenable to adapting the hours than reading cold on paper.

belindarose Mon 10-Oct-11 13:21:45

Yes, I think you're right. I think I will already have a less than perfect reference against me as my attendance in the current (temporary and casual) job has not been ideal.

titchy Mon 10-Oct-11 13:28:40

I disagree! I'd put on the end of your covering letter that wh8ilst you understand one of the posts is for four days a week you are ideally looking for slightly less hours than this and would appreaciete it if they would give due consideration to this.

I've always done this (applied for FT but stated I want 80% of ft) and it's worked so far! Otherwise you coudl end up pissing them off by not being totally upfront from teh start.

belindarose Mon 10-Oct-11 13:38:31

Aagh! That sounds sensible too. I'm too indecisive to get a job! But now I've started to consider the possibilities of doing the 4 day role. Okay, closing date isn't until 17th so I have some time to make my mind up.

titchy Mon 10-Oct-11 13:47:37

I'm public sector which makes a difference I think.....

belindarose Mon 10-Oct-11 14:11:17

This is a public sector role too. In negotiations with DH now about how/ if I could cope with 4 days.

fedupandtired Mon 10-Oct-11 16:36:49

If you only want 3 days then I would mention it in your covering letter because if it's a non-negotiable 4 days then it's a waste of your and their time to interview you otherwise.

ExpatAgain Tue 11-Oct-11 19:28:27

can I disagree now smile. if you're the best candidate for the job, they will want you whether 3 or 4 days, sadly if you're not, they won't listen either way. i think you should wait, not put on yr applic, mull it over in the meantime and bring it up at interview, hoping you get one.

belindarose Tue 11-Oct-11 20:01:52

Thanks for your time everyone. I've decided to apply for the 4 day role, accept it if I get it and review again in due course. Have become quite excited by the prospect of working almost full time again and have provisional childcare in place should I be successful.

PopcornMouse Thu 13-Oct-11 16:04:02

I'd take the job at 4 days, and just see how it goes. If you and DD hate it, then after 6 months you can renegotiate, or look for something new - ?

PopcornMouse Thu 13-Oct-11 16:04:24

Sorry, missed your last post!! Good luck, let us know how you get on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now