Talk

Advanced search

I have an interview for a position as PA for people who are disabled, Help Please?

(7 Posts)
FreddieMercurysBolero Sun 09-Oct-11 13:04:30

I know I will be good at the job and I will enjoy it, I have studied in this field for 4 years now, so why wouldn't I get it?

I reallly really want the job too. The hours are flexible, I would earn E2 more an hour than I do at the moment...

But I am generally rubbish at interviews. I dread them. I got a letter confirming the interview last week, a tiny part of me went 'Yaay!' and the rest of me went 'Whoomph'.

Any MNetters out there who work as PAs who could give me any tips/advice re. the interview? Please?

AmINearlyThereYet Sun 09-Oct-11 17:49:19

do you mean PA as in carer or PA as in secretary? I'm disabled and I have a PA (carer) but not PA (secretary). So if it is the former I can tell you what I would want you to say if you were looking for a job with me.

twinklytoes Sun 09-Oct-11 20:30:53

happy to offer advice too if its the caring field.

FreddieMercurysBolero Mon 10-Oct-11 03:37:58

Agh! Sorry, I have no idea why I did not make it clear it is the caring field. I am a qualified social care worker.

AmINearlyThereYet Mon 10-Oct-11 11:57:29

What I look for is someone who:
1. Knows what to do in an emergency
2. Only has to have something explained to them once, and then remembers it and looks to see if it needs doing on future occasions
3. Has initiative ("would you like me to...")
4. Knows when to talk and when to be quiet: just because I need to have someone helping me doesn't mean I want to talk to them all the time
5. Can pick up on my character and respond accordingly: if you aren't sure what to get me for lunch, I'd prefer you to make up your own mind rather than bother me with questions when I'm clearly exhausted; but not everyone will be the same
6. Is sensitive to my needs: I can't talk very loudly, so please don't ask me questions when you are too far away to hear my answer; similarly, if you get me a drink, please put it within reach
7. Can attune themselves to when to let me do something for myself (especially when out in public) and when to step in to help
8. Is matter of fact and confident about more intimate care; just gets on with doing what needs to be done
9. Makes me feel nothing is too much trouble

Is a mind-reader in other words... and can read my mind even when I myself am not sure what is in it... Not too much of a tall order I hope grin

FreddieMercurysBolero Mon 10-Oct-11 22:33:23

I got the job! Thanks for your helpsmile
AmI, thanks for the advice, found the list really helpful, and I've c+p'd it for future reference.

AmINearlyThereYet Tue 11-Oct-11 10:06:33

Congratulations! And the very best of luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now