Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Part timer, doing full day training course, can I ask for time off in lieu?

(12 Posts)
BleurghUna Thu 06-Oct-11 21:56:46

I normally work 4.5 hours a day, but my boss wants me to do a full day's training course. I have arranged extra childcare to cover this and the company will reimburse the cost.
Would I be a cheeky mare to ask for time off in lieu as well? It would be about 3 hours extra. What are my rights in this situation?

BleurghUna Thu 06-Oct-11 21:59:10

Meant to add, full timers can take time off in lieu if they do extra hours, but won't get paid extra.

Grevling Thu 06-Oct-11 23:33:09

It could be. I'd either ask for the extra hours as overtime or the child care costs not both. Depends how much the childcare costs are etc as well.

BleurghUna Fri 07-Oct-11 14:08:39

Thank you! My company doesn't pay overtime, but full timers can take time off in lieu for working extra hours. I will ask, they can only say no, can't they?

PandaNot Fri 07-Oct-11 14:11:16

Yes you can. Happens all the time to me.

meditrina Fri 07-Oct-11 14:14:26

Can the full-timers claim additional childcare expenses?

Because if they get TOIL (not pay) plus expenses, then so should you.

hairylights Fri 07-Oct-11 16:37:54

If full timers get TOIL then you should too.

And I'd be taking both TOIL for the extra hours worked and for the reimbursement of additional costs (ie: Childcare costs) as you will basically accrue both of these costs.

BleurghUna Fri 07-Oct-11 17:09:25

meditrina - the addditional childcare expenses are because I am working at a time when I wouldn't normally be working (ie out of school hours). I wouldn't normally claim childcare costs.
Hairylights - so you would get both then? Is it normal for employers to do this? So I'm not being cheeky by asking?

40notTrendy Fri 07-Oct-11 17:15:01

I work part time and either get paid, if finances are healthy enough, or toil. In effect, whether it's training or extra work, it's overtime.

meditrina Fri 07-Oct-11 17:16:11

I think you should be asking for both - I could certainly claim both when I was working (after school club costs plus a shorter week the one following). If your full time colleagues claim for childcare (longer hours at after school club, additional babysitting) as well as getting TOIL then you definitely shoul do so too.

cat64 Fri 07-Oct-11 17:22:46

Message withdrawn

BleurghUna Fri 07-Oct-11 21:54:39

Good point Cat64: It would be about 3 hours' extra wrk so not enough to be able to take a whole day's TOIL sad but I could whittle it down by taking 1/2 hour here, 1/4 there and it would probably go further that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now