Talk

Advanced search

Public holidays and maternity leave

(13 Posts)
ZombiouslyGhoulblivious Thu 06-Oct-11 16:53:55

Sorry I know this subject comes up a lot....

My employer (a local authority) specifically states in the maternity policy that public holidays DO NOT accrue whilst an employee is on maternity leave. Can they do this?

smileitssunny Thu 06-Oct-11 17:16:35

Interesting.. my employer (NHS) does allow bank holidays to be accrued.

ZombiouslyGhoulblivious Sun 09-Oct-11 06:24:39

Thank you Smile. I'd still be interested to know whether I should speak to the union about this.

LAbaby Sun 09-Oct-11 06:26:28

I am keen to know too as am on maternity and not getting them I work for a large well known private company. It hadn't occurred to me to ask for them.

KellyKettle Sun 09-Oct-11 06:34:20

Didn't they pass a law in 2008 which said pregnant women got them?

Direct.gov usually has the detail or call ACAS.

ZombiouslyGhoulblivious Sun 09-Oct-11 06:51:56

We must have people coming back from ML every month, I keep wondering whether it's been queried before and if not why not?

pallymama Sun 09-Oct-11 06:59:49

I'll try to find a link, but I thought this changed around 2008/2009. When I came back from my Mat leave, I suddenly had extra holiday days as the law had changed just before I went off apparently.

<wanders off to go look for a link>

pallymama Sun 09-Oct-11 07:11:22

I can't fine one clear link that covers it all. I think the basis of it is that if your employer gives workers additional paid time off on bank holidays, then they have to give that to everyone, and whilst on mat leave, you build up all of your holiday entitlements. If your employer only allows you to take bank holidays as paid annual leave, deducting it from your accrued holiday, then you wouldn't get them as extra, but you should get your full amount of annual leave, as you haven't "spent" any on bank holidays. Hope that makes sense. confused

Bank holidays link.

Mat leave link.

KellyKettle Sun 09-Oct-11 07:14:04

That makes sense Pally

I have just started mat leave and forgot to work out my entitlement actually.

Will add it to my to do list...smile

ZombiouslyGhoulblivious Sun 09-Oct-11 19:52:45

Well I get twenty something days holiday plus paid bank holidays off... So sounds like perhaps I should accrue them?

Starshaped Sun 09-Oct-11 19:59:34

I work for a local authority and am accruing my bank holidays as extra days of annual leave while I'm on mat leave.

I thought most local authorities had similar HR policies and am surprised you're not accruing your bank holidays too.

HarrietJones Sun 09-Oct-11 20:44:31

I accrued them( local authority)

ZombiouslyGhoulblivious Sun 09-Oct-11 20:49:32

Ok. Perhaps I'll have a chat with unison. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now