Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Grievance letter advice

(8 Posts)
weakestlink Wed 05-Oct-11 21:20:44

Leading on from my thread about my employer wanting to reduce my hours to 2 days/week from 3 - is this ok for a grievance letter? I have no experience of this. I am not a member of a trade union but kept that bit in so they might think "ooo she's in a union we might not be able to screw her over" grin

Dear Employer,
Following my email to you on 28th September 2011 which has received no response, I have taken further advice and I am writing to tell you that I wish to raise a grievance.
This action is being considered with regard to the following circumstances: failure to confirm my original job following the end of my maternity leave under the same terms and conditions as before I left (ie. 3 days per week – Mon/Wed/Sun) equating to pregnancy/maternity discrimination as covered by the Equality Act 2010.

I am entitled to a hearing to discuss this matter; also I am entitled, if I wish, to be accompanied by another work colleague or my trade union representative

Please reply within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Yours sincerely,
weakestlink

hairylights Wed 05-Oct-11 23:13:28

Haven't seen details of previous but I assume it is not that they have "failed to confirm" that's the issue but that they have failed to allow a return on the same terms and conditions on which you left?

It would be clearer to say "Following my email to you on 28th September 2011 to which i have received no response, I am writing to raise a formal grievance.

My grievance is that I have not been allowed to return from maternity leave on the same terms and conditions as when I commenced maternity leave (my terms and conditions on commencing maternity leave were 3 days per week – Mon/Wed/Sun).

This is considered pregnancy/maternity discrimination as covered by the Equality Act 2010.

I look forward to receiving your response as a matter"

How long does your grievance policy allow for them to get back to you?

Good luck.

weakestlink Fri 07-Oct-11 10:21:45

Yes hairy you are right they are wanting me to go back for 2 days/week instead of 3 so your wording is much better. I think I was thinking failure to confirm following my email which requested 3 days.

I do not have a copy of my contract (am going to ask for one with this letter) but I read somewhere that if it's a small business you can expect a reply sooner than 28 days?

ilovemydogandMrObama Fri 07-Oct-11 10:29:19

Personally think you should ask for a response to your email rather than diving into a formal grievance procedure. Maybe something along the lines of, 'I would be grateful for a response to my email of * and confirmation that my terms and conditions have not been changed since going on maternity leave...'

weakestlink Sun 09-Oct-11 16:23:58

Ok I emailed on Friday asking for a response but nothing back yet. I know my boss gets her emails on her iphone straight away so no reason why she hasn't got it.

I am going to cal ACAS tomorrow and see how they think I should proceed.

I have redone the letter though as hairy suggested.

hairylights Sun 09-Oct-11 17:22:50

I think if she hasn't responded by end of Tuesday I'd be sending the letter.

weakestlink Mon 10-Oct-11 23:13:48

Spoke to ACAS who said to send grievance email so have done it tonight. As I pressed send I saw a bloody spelling mistake - so annoying- but too late now.

Hope she replies now... She's going to hate me. She can be quite aggressive sad

weakestlink Tue 11-Oct-11 16:20:57

Success!!!!!!!!

I can go back to my old job smile

Apparently it was never in question hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now