Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Forced leave ?

(15 Posts)
ConfessionsOfaMask Tue 04-Oct-11 12:20:17

I was just asking our HR person if there would be closures over the festive period this year. She mentioned that they would close for 3days (28, 29 & 30 Dec).

I mentioned it was nice but then she said it would be taken out of our leave entitlement. hmm

Ive had a look online and I can see it can be done but what if I only have 1.5 leave days left on my yearly allowance ? That would mean I would start off 2012 having already lost 1.5 days ?

Surely, it's not right to force me to "owe" them days for a holiday I didn't choose to take ?

TIA

hermioneweasley Tue 04-Oct-11 12:27:56

Companies can tell you when to take leave - some factories still have a shutdown period when all the employees are forced to take their leave at the same time. Are you new to the company, or have they just introduced it this year?

ConfessionsOfaMask Tue 04-Oct-11 12:33:24

I've been here over 2 years - Its the first Year they chose to do this.

Grevling Tue 04-Oct-11 12:35:42

You'll probably have to take it as unpaid. I'm surprised they didn't ask everyone to keep the 3 days back they'll need to cover it.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Tue 04-Oct-11 12:37:53

Bit strange then that there has been a formal comms about it.

NatashaBee Tue 04-Oct-11 12:45:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ConfessionsOfaMask Tue 04-Oct-11 13:21:40

Just had a read of the holiday section in my contract. Nothing is said about my employer being able to decide when my leave is to be taken at all. Just the amount of holidays etc.

flowery Tue 04-Oct-11 14:00:28

On the basis that you haven't been told about it before and holiday requests have been approved leaving you with not enough days, I think you can legitimately protest.

Requiring leave to be held back for closures is common, but it's not something an employer can really decide after the event.

ConfessionsOfaMask Tue 04-Oct-11 14:05:26

Thank you Flowery, thought it would be the case.

How do I broach the subject with my MD now? Can I ask them to absorb the cost of those 1.5 days ? Or offer to work on those days ?

NatashaBee Tue 04-Oct-11 14:19:16

ConfessionsOfaMask Tue 04-Oct-11 14:23:20

Thanks. I will wait for the formal announcement to be made and I will then speak to MD and tell him just that.

BikeRunSki Tue 04-Oct-11 14:28:44

Quite normal, especially for Christmas shut down. I also know of companies that allocate individuals a week/fortnight when they can take their summer leave.

On the other hand, my line manager always wants a Team Leader in over each of the (otherwise) close down days to answer the phone. I have spent many 29th Dec in a single heated room with about 2 other people and a silent phone! No fun.

ConfessionsOfaMask Tue 04-Oct-11 14:40:54

Thing is, I really don't mind coming in those days, it is pretty quiet and I get to prepare my next quarter in peace...Which is why I would be peeved if I was forced to forfeit AL because they have decided to close this year.

NatashaBee Tue 04-Oct-11 14:50:12

ConfessionsOfaMask Tue 04-Oct-11 15:15:47

I've just asked again and they have agreed to cover the missing days but as of next year it will be automatically taken out of the leave. Fair enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now