Talk

Advanced search

22 weeks pregnant and facing redundancy

(3 Posts)
chucklemummy Mon 03-Oct-11 23:13:21

Hoping to get some perspective on my current situation following some of the sound advice posted on this forum to similar situations!

I'm expecting my second LO at the beginning of February and have just found out that the NHS charity for which I have worked for the last 15 months (following redundancy) is to lose half of its funding at the end of this financial year. My boss has indicated that I have a 50: 50 chance of having a job to come back to in August/September next year. What should I do?

It seems unfeasible to look for another job between now and January, when I'd be going to interview very pregnant and not actually taking up any post till August; plus I'd lose my rights to NHS maternity pay. I'd feel better though if I could actually do something to prepare myself for the very real prospect of looking for a job whilst on maternity leave. I am the main wage earner in our household and we couldn't stay in our current house without my earnings - even a lower income would be a struggle.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and can offer some level headed advice? Especially would welcome advice on any NHS employee's experience that relates to this - someone mentioned to me that there is a positive action policy regarding pregnant employees and employees on maternity leave if I could find another post within the NHS (no mean feat in these turbulent times)? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Pearls of wisdom, nuggets of advice, virtual tea and sympathy all welcomed!

Grevling Tue 04-Oct-11 00:10:57

If your made redundant while your on maternity leave and there is a suitable job you must be offered that job.

Do you work for the NHS or the charity? Not an expert on the NHS but I'm fairly sure that would mean they would have to look within the charity not the wider NHS but would depend on who you are employed by.

e.g. Depends on the charity and its links to the NHS but likely to be seen as two separate entities however worth confirming with management/hr.

Mummawummadooda Tue 04-Oct-11 20:34:58

Just to point out, could go 50 your way. Blind optimism maybe but that means there's hope. Also why your role? By this I mean why would those others stay instead? Might help shed light....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now