Talk

Advanced search

CV advice - currently self-employed

(6 Posts)
SardineQueen Sun 02-Oct-11 18:17:48

Hi there

I am updating my CV to show my most recent work. i don't really know how to describe it though, as it's not like anything I've ever done before.

It is working for a very small company at home, they wanted to to be self-employed and so that is what I am! I have learnt new skills doing it which is why I want to add it to my CV and also so it doesn't look like I am currently unemployed.

How to word it though? Do I put eg "XXXXXX - self employed position"? Or is there a fancy term for saying self employed which sounds a bit better? Am I working on an hourly project basis or something? (I get paid hourly and do the work when it suits me).

I'm a bit foxed by it - how to make it sound really good and professional? And not as if I'm ripping off the taxman (given that I only work for one company - I have checked and it is fine).

TIA employment types smile

SardineQueen Sun 02-Oct-11 19:45:10

bumping for anyone who has just finished bedtime!

DH and I have come up with "Working on a freelance basis for a xxx company". Any good? Could it be better?

Grevling Sun 02-Oct-11 22:48:19

Just Put.

Widget Maker - XXXX Company

No need to mention your self employed. Just tell people the hours were flexible. Putting self employed is guaranteed to confuse people.

SardineQueen Mon 03-Oct-11 09:59:43

Thanks grevling. What if it comes to reference though? And would I mention I was self employed in the interview? I think you are right but thinking what happens if it "comes out" and they think I have not been entirely honest?

Grevling Mon 03-Oct-11 22:40:02

Nah. Your customer would give you a reference. Lots of people work for one person on a self employed basis (field engineers, salesmen) so its not that uncommon.

SardineQueen Tue 04-Oct-11 08:35:49

That's really helpful. I've never done this before. I have to say it didn't occur to me to think of them as "customer" rather than "boss"!

It's a hard mindset to shake after all those years working for big organisations...

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now